Share:

Asrock z390 phantom gaming itx question  

RSS

(@deny_winarto)
March 9, 2019 9:45 pm  

Has anyone done egpu benchmark for this board?
I'm concerned cause it's tb3 is only half speed, plan to pair it with rtx 2060 mini, razor core-x.
Cpu most likely will be i5 9400 or higher.

I want to build a swappable egpu enclosure that i can use with a mini itx build and my xps 9370

Any thoughts about the performance of this build? Need some advices as i'm new at this.. thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Topic Tags
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 10, 2019 12:36 am  

I had a discussion recently with @omardesu about an ITX Intel TB3 build. It's too bad ASRock uses a LP TB3 controller for this board. You would have to figure out what other Z390 ITX boards use good a controller for its Thunderbolt 3 connection.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Eminent Member
March 10, 2019 6:18 am  

I did end up buying the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-itx/ac; however, I'm still waiting for 2 more pieces of the build: CPU and case.  I was still going back and forth between the 8700k and 9700k but finally decided to go with the 9700k, so I still need to get that ordered up.  I've put in my pre-order for the Dan A4-SFX, but the shipping estimate is early May according to SFFLab (hopefully sooner according to Dan on the SFF forums).

You can see my build here on pcpartpicker.com.  It's a bit of a departure from the $800 build that @itsage recommended to me as I started throwing some more money at it (primarily the case).  It'll be a few weeks until I can get home back to the US to gather all my build components and probably put it together on a simple ITX test bench while I wait for the Dan A4.  I'm planning to run the 1070 Ti inside the case and then via ASUS XG Station Pro to see what the performance difference would be.  I think the difference in gaming will be negligible to my eyes since I'm running the eGPU with a 2014 Mac mini on TB2.  The real bottleneck in the Mac mini setup is looking like the i5 CPU now that I've realized that it's been 100% utilization as of late during gaming.

So if you can wait until mid-April, I can get you some numbers to see what the hit would be with that MB.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@deny_winarto)
March 10, 2019 11:18 am  
Posted by: theitsage

I had a discussion recently with @omardesu about an ITX Intel TB3 build. It'a too bad ASRock uses a LP TB3 controller for this board. You would have to figure out what other Z390 ITX boards use good a controller for its Thunderbolt 3 connection.

Just saw this, yes i think i'm going for TB3 AIC instead.. at least until proper motherboard with full speed TB3 is released

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
(@deny_winarto)
March 10, 2019 3:48 pm  
Posted by: omardesu

I did end up buying the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-itx/ac; however, I'm still waiting for 2 more pieces of the build: CPU and case.  I was still going back and forth between the 8700k and 9700k but finally decided to go with the 9700k, so I still need to get that ordered up.  I've put in my pre-order for the Dan A4-SFX, but the shipping estimate is early May according to SFFLab (hopefully sooner according to Dan on the SFF forums).

You can see my build here on pcpartpicker.com.  It's a bit of a departure from the $800 build that @itsage recommended to me as I started throwing some more money at it (primarily the case).  It'll be a few weeks until I can get home back to the US to gather all my build components and probably put it together on a simple ITX test bench while I wait for the Dan A4.  I'm planning to run the 1070 Ti inside the case and then via ASUS XG Station Pro to see what the performance difference would be.  I think the difference in gaming will be negligible to my eyes since I'm running the eGPU with a 2014 Mac mini on TB2.  The real bottleneck in the Mac mini setup is looking like the i5 CPU now that I've realized that it's been 100% utilization as of late during gaming.

So if you can wait until mid-April, I can get you some numbers to see what the hit would be with that MB.

Yes that'd be interesting, i'm also curious if the difference is negligible or not.. 

Btw,
it might be late if you already bought asrock mini itx, but gigabyte z390m is the smallest board with tb3 header, (macro atx 24x24 cm) and its officially supported for gigabyte aic titan ridge, something you may want to consider..

Or i read on other thread someone successfully got the asrock mini itx to work with gigabyte aic, but he had to jump the pins.. 

Technically on the paper, z390m + titan ridge aic should yield the best result, but i'm wondering if the difference is negligible or not compared to asrock's internal tb3..

ReplyQuote