Asus Rog G551JW - Got a little bit confused with all the information and I need ...

Notifications
Clear all

Asus Rog G551JW - Got a little bit confused with all the information and I need some help.  

RSS

Dragos
(@dragos)

Hello guys, I am looking into upgrading my laptop with an eGPU but it looks like there are a lot of things to consider before spending "a little fortune". So while researching if my laptop will be compatible with an eGPU, I got confused with the amount of information out there and couldn't reach a conclusion, that's why I decided to ask for help. I would also like to mention from the beginning that my knowledge about all this is close to none but I'm trying to inform myself as much as I can.

So, first things first, the laptop I'm trying to upgrade is an Asus Rog G551JW with the following specs:

- Intel Core i7-4750HQ 2.0GHz (Turbo Frequency up to 3.2GHz) Quad Core (4 Cores, 8 Threads)
- 16GB (2x 8GB) 1.35v DDR3L-1600
- NVIDIA GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card & Intel Iris Pro 5200
- 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive + 120GB Intel SSD + 24GB Kingston SSD

- Bios American Megatrends Inc. - Version G551JW.209 - Date 03/04/2016 (this was the latest version available from the manufacturer)

and I would like to use an EXP GDC Beast dock with either an Expresscard or mini PCIe connection (but as I was reading online some people were saying that Expresscard lowers the GPU capacity more than the mini PCIe so I would incline for the second option).

Second thing, looking at the attached screenshots of the motherboard, the laptop has the wireless adapter and a mini SSD connection, so my question is: Would I be able to remove the 24GB SSD (the laptop already has a 1TB hard disk and 120GB SSD for OS and other programs so the 24GB SSD literally has no use) and use the EXP GDC Beast mini PCIe connection instead, without removing the wi-fi adapter?

Finally, my thoughts are to buy one RTX 2070 Super (or something else with similar performance and price) and connect it through the EXP GDC Beast mini PCIe to the laptop along with a power supply. To express my intentions more clear, I want to transform this laptop into a Desktop unit, I don't need it to be mobile anymore and I'm also trying to avoid spending 2-3000$ on a high end desktop.

Would all this be possible?

I know I'm asking a lot but if anyone could help somehow and guid me into taking the right decision that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Motherboard
90562362 1178821999119289 7753631101427384320 n

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote