Asus ZenBook Pro (UX550GE) with thunderb...

Asus ZenBook Pro (UX550GE) with thunderbolt 3 + eGPU?  

spyro
(@spyro)

Hello there,

i recently bought the Asus ZenBook 15 (UX533FD) which is NOT the pro-version and does NOT contain thunderbolt 3.

After a few days now i was thinking about this:

When i replace my non-pro version with the PRO-version (which has thunderbolt 3), can i use just any GPU as external GPU and get at least 90% or higher of the original Performance it would have within a desktop?

I am new to the topic of eGPUs so i was wondering if anything else could be the bottleneck...

I am talking about 1080p gaming, not 4k.

• the specs of the laptop are:
    Intel Core i7-8750K Processor (9 MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 1050 Graphic, 4 GB DDR5 VRAM
  • 16 GB DDR4-2400 RAM
  • PCIe x4 SSD
  • 2x Thunderbolt 3

I would be really really gratefull if you could help me and tell me, if this could work.

My thinking is that i can use the notebook as mobile notebook and when i place it on my gaming table, i would just need to plug in the eGPU cable and have a really nice gaming setup (depending on the egpu i buy).

Also a newby question: From my understanding the eGPU-"case" is mainly a universal case and i can plug any gpu into it that i can buy for a normal desktop? Is that correct?

Thanks so much in advance 🙂

3 Replies
3 Replies
prasys
(@prasys)

Let me answer some of your questions. I got an AORUS RTX 2070 Box (it's a mini eGPU box - although one can get a eGPU casing + desktop GPU - but I wanted something that I can carry around) + Thinkpad X1 Extreme (spec wise looks about the same on paper). Now which eGPU you want to get , that's up to you - there are tons of reviews here - so have a read 

Firstly when you game on eGPU - you are going to take performance hit. A lot - For example , with the Internal laptop display you are going to take a higher performance hit vs connecting to an external display.  With my test on the latest shadow of tomb raider on high settings , I am getting about 60fps on RTX2070 (using laptop display) and 72fps using an external monitor. Again we are talking about 1080p gaming here , not 4K.  RTX 2070 can easily do Highest setting at stable 90fps when it's connected to a desktop and with a comparable CPU.

In other words when you buy a eGPU you are getting 70% or lower performance when you game. This is something you need to know due to the limitation of TB3 bandwidth and the way how things do work. So my RTX2070 feels like a GTX1060 in some games , however it just kicks the 1050Ti (built-in) for gaming...my 1050Ti can only do 30fps on tomb raider , but this is doubling it ....

spyro
(@spyro)

Ah, well in my case i would only use the external GPU with an external display (directly via hdmi-port on the laptop).

Is there really such a hughe performance hit like loosing 30% performance? Even with thunderbolt 3? That's sad 🙁

Do you have the numbers of how much the difference in bandwith is? I read that TB3 can support up to 32 GBit/s, how much would the bandwith need to be to reach 100% performance? Just interested 🙂

prasys
(@prasys)

Yes , again you are taking a huge penalty.. You see my RTX2070 is performing like a GTX1060 with Tomb Raider. In normal benchmarks , people can push it to 90fps , but i am getting 40fps-70fps

You can read my review if you are interested in the number . TB3 supports up to 4GB/sec - PCIe 3.0 x16 supports 16GB/sec .