Asus ZenBook S UX393EA - Suitable for eGPU?

Notifications
Clear all

Asus ZenBook S UX393EA - Suitable for eGPU?  

RSS

Liam Markham
(@liam_markham)

I'm considering buying the new 11th gen ZenBook S UX393EA but I want to make sure it is at least reasonably suitable for use with an eGPU.

Here are the specs on the official site: https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-S-UX393EA/Tech-Specs/

It has Thunderbolt 4 which I understand to be backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3, although I have no idea how many lanes of PCIe. I suppose what I'm wondering is if there's anything immediately obvious to experienced people here that would make this laptop unsuitable for use with an eGPU?

I'd be intending to use the eGPU with a separate display rather than the internal one.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

Should work great. Only thing you might worry about is keeping the CPU cool.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Liam Markham
(@liam_markham)

@lwf

Yeah, that's always the concern, particularly with a slim laptop. Still, it seems to fare better in that regard than some of the others I was considering and when I'm using it docked I'll probably leave it on one of those silly USB cooling mat things.

Thanks for the reassurance, I think I'll go for it in the next few days. I just wanted to plan ahead for a future eGPU and make sure I wasn't buying something that had any serious hindrances to that.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote