Bang-for-Buck 2020 MacBook Pro eGPU Setup

Notifications
Clear all

Bang-for-Buck 2020 MacBook Pro eGPU Setup  

RSS

TheMisterMcC
(@themistermcc)

Hello, eGPU community!

My parents and I just bought a 2020 MacBook Pro 13". I plan to hook up a RX 5500 XT in a Sonnet eGFX 550w enclosure, and use macOS – not Bootcamp. I'm going to experiment with video editing, animation, 3D design, games, and some photo editing.

Is a 5500 XT better bang for buck than an RX 5600 XT? I can't really afford anything more than a 5600 XT in my setup, but is it worth the extra $80?

Also, I'm going to put the enclosure and my MacBook in a cubby in my desk (and then use an external keyboard and monitor). Is that going to cause thermal problems?

Thank you all very much!   Smile

TheMisterMcC, eGPU Newbie. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@themistermcc, Welcome aboard! I would recommend the PowerColor mini eGFX with the RX 570. It's sub $500 and has all of the features you're looking for. The performance is slightly less than the RX 5500 XT but given driver optimization in macOS for older cards, the difference is negligible.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
TheMisterMcC
(@themistermcc)

@itsage, Thank you for your recommendation! I'm not quite ready to buy the eGPU (I may wait a few months), but I'll go for the Powercolor Mini when I splurge.

One more thing. Do you know if the Powercolor Mini Pro is still being produced? Amazon says they only have one in stock. If it's not available in a few months what else do you recommend?

Thank you again!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@themistermcc, Another option is an empty Gigabyte/AORUS Gaming Box for sub $200 then pair it up with ITX-sized RX 5500XT. The Sonnet Breakaway Puck 570 would also work but it does have an expansion ports.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
TheMisterMcC
(@themistermcc)

@itsage, those are both good ideas! I think I'll buy the Gigabyte empty box and put a 5500 XT inside.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@themistermcc, If you're in the US, get the ITX RX 5500XT on Dell website. The 4GB version is on sale for $149.99.

ReplyQuote