Notifications
Clear all

Benchmarking different Notebooks  

RSS

gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)
Eminent Member

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a few months now and finally decided that an eGPU setup might be the best solution for me.

So I went and ordered a Razer Core X, a RTX 2070 Super and 4 different notebooks (all with the 1065g7 processor):
- Razer Blade Stealth 13 without dGPU
- Acer Swift 3
- HP Spectre x360
- Lenovo Yoga S740 with MX250

My question is what is the best way to benchmark them in order to decide which one i will keep.

I will obviously go by just the overall feel and the price of the device. Testing battery also is quite straightforward.

The most difficult part is the performance. I have seen people use Heaven, Valley, Superposition and a few others
Which of those is the best in terms of how long it takes to download/run and how well the score translates to gaming performance?

I expect some problems to show up during the overall setup and I currently dont have a huge amount of free time to go through complete testing. So a few suggestions about how to do this efficiently would be great.

Thanks Smile

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@gerd_fuafsljfe, I know you asked about benchmarking these four ultrabooks but having tried/used many over the years, I would say benchmark results have little to do with my decision in keeping/favoring certain laptops over the others. The day to day fit is more important imo. Trackpad responsiveness and certain keyboard layout arrangement may make or break this usability. There are no spec sheets for these tactile elements so it's a highly personal preference.

The Razer Blade Stealth can run the CPU at 25W so that is a plus. Have you confirmed the other ones can do the same (rather than 15W). I would say not to base your performance conclusion on the numbers alone but the overall smoothness during gameplay as well as connection/disconnection from the eGPU. The cooling system is crucial too so observe noise and heat from the laptop during eGPU sessions.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)
Eminent Member

@itsage, thanks for the reply Smile

You are right. The overall feel will be the most important factor.
I am not sure about the 15/25W issue. As far as I know the Lenovo should run 25w, I am not sure about the spectre and I wasnt able to find any information about the Swift.

Depending on that there might be big differences in the performance. So it would be nice to have a quick test to get a for that in case the remaining factors turn out to be similar between two notebooks.

Also: Would it be ok for me to create a build thread for all 4 of the setups? Maybe then people can chime in in case i stumble over problems

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Absolutely! You can pair each laptop to the eGPU and create the build for them individually. That will help others when they research information for their own setup.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)
Eminent Member

@itsage, you seem to have the most experience here so I hope you can help me one more time before I make my final decision.

My question if I understood the main concept correctly. The 1065g7 is the processor that provides the most tb3 bandwidth due to the on-die tb3 controller. So it might achieve ~85% of the GPU power on an external screen and almost the same on the internal screen. But the TPD is locked at 25W.

If I get a laptop with a more power hungry processor which does not have the on-die tb3-controller (for example a Core i7-9850H ) the GPU power might go down to ~80 percent on an external screen and 70% on the internal screen, but instead I would have a more powerful processor which might be better in more CPU bound scenarios.

So my questions are:

1. Will the 1065g7 realistically bottleneck me during gaming (i read conflicting statements regarding that)?
  2. If yes, would i be happier with another CPU or would I instead be bottlenecked by the GPU then (or are there other problems like more display latency)
  3. Lastly, does anyone have an idea when a motherboard will come out that "does it all". There are rumours of motherboards that support ryzen and thunderbolt, but I guess there will be initial problems so I dont count on that. Does anyone know if the next generation of Intel chips will have the on-die tb3 controller on higher tdp CPUs? If yes, then when are they likely to release?

I know thats a lot of questions and the answers most likely involve a lot of guesswork but it would be great if someone can answer some of those questions.

PS:

My verdict on the laptops is:

The Acer Swift has a lot of issues which are not necessarily connected to the eGPU, so that went out of consideration almost instantly.

The Lenovo Yoga S740 is great. The TDP of 22W is up there with the best and it is nice to use. Having the dGPU in case i am somewhere without the eGPU is also a nice added bonus.

The Razer is also great. It performs a bit better than the Yoga due to the 25W TDP. It also handles nice. But it is already the most expensive one and i would have to upgrade the SSD soon.

The spectre is a weird case. Amazon sent me the wrong one. It has a i5-8265U. Still it does not perform much worse than the Razer and the Lenovo and I am absolutely in awe with the build quality and the look (especially because mine is in poseidon blue, the silver version does not look as "flashy" to me in the pictures i saw).

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@gerd_fuafsljfe, There are many different variables when it comes to eGPU performance: CPU, Thunderbolt 3 port routing, cooling, firmware settings, external monitor/loopback, graphics drivers, game/app optimization, etc. We don't have full access to set everything to Max Performance on many of these pieces.

It is hard to pick a single best ultrabook. It's harder when you have eGPU performance in the equation. I would say again that more than any specs or performance numbers, the way a particular product feels when you use it is the ultimate determining factor.

ReplyQuote