Best solution for a 2017 15" mbp  

Maximus
(@maximus)
May 21, 2018 1:10 pm  

Dear readers,

I am on the verge of buying a EGPU, however i do have some questions regarding the best gear that i could get (ease of set-up and support)

I am choosing between the gigabyte 580 box, the gigabyte 1080 box and the xg-station pro with an asus rx 580.

plan to game on both macos and win10, which should i buy, i know that if you look at pure performance the 1080 box is the best, but setup on 10.13.4 is dodgy (or is it with fr34k's script?)

not looking for any docking abilities, besides a single usb-port for my monitor with built-in hub. I really like the aesthetics of the xg station pro, but will it also work on windows 10 with the aforementioned RX580?

Thanks for your knowledge,

Maximus

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 21, 2018 1:46 pm  

@maximus I'm still working on the full review of the ASUS XG Station Pro [unboxing] but can tell you it fits your needs perfectly. The 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, quiet operation, and build quality are the highlights of this enclosure.

GTX 1080 is no doubt the higher performing graphics card. It's not a card I'd recommend for use with macOS. However it's easier to set up in Windows Bootcamp with your 15" MacBook Pro. The RX 580 works plug-and-play in macOS but will require some effort to get going in Windows.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

66 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Maximus
(@maximus)
May 21, 2018 2:18 pm  

@theitsage

thanks for the quick response, i think i will order the xg station pro tonight, probably with an ASUS rx580.
also thank you very much for the guide for windows setup. One question: do i need to attach te IGPU to the internal screen, or is it ok to leave it as it is, since i will be using my 34" ultrawide most of the time in combination with the egpu

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 21, 2018 2:49 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@maximus I'm still working on the full review of the ASUS XG Station Pro [unboxing] but can tell you it fits your needs perfectly. The 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, quiet operation, and build quality are the highlights of this enclosure.

GTX 1080 is no doubt the higher performing graphics card. It's not a card I'd recommend for use with macOS. However it's easier to set up in Windows Bootcamp with your 15" MacBook Pro. The RX 580 works plug-and-play in macOS but will require some effort to get going in Windows.

Have you had chance to check how plug and play the 15 inch 2017's are with both OS with the latest updates? Because I have read  that AMD is plug and play in both macOS and W10 for the 15inch 2017 MBP's now (But obviously not my 13, oh no, that would be toooo good).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Maximus
(@maximus)
May 21, 2018 3:06 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Have you had chance to check how plug and play the 15 inch 2017's are with both OS with the latest updates? Because I have read  that AMD is plug and play in both macOS and W10 for the 15inch 2017 MBP's now (But obviously not my 13, oh no, that would be toooo good).

i will report in the following days on this with the above setup

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 21, 2018 3:09 pm  

@maximus For external monitor use only you don't need to attach the iGPU to internal display. I'd recommend disabling the PCIe x8 Controller to the left-side TB3 ports then connect the eGPU to the top right TB3 port.

@eightarmedpet I didn't see much changes in Bootcamp with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro and 2017 13" TB MacBook Pro. Both are running 10.13.4 and Windows 10 1803. The reports on plug-and-play so far don't include all details.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
May 21, 2018 3:19 pm  

@itsage yep, all the reports I have read have been from users with the 2017 model which may have included a firmware update in .4, but as ya said, very few details have been shared...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
temkins
(@temkins)
May 21, 2018 3:24 pm  

AMD is plug and play now on MBP 15 (mid-2017) -  they seemed to patch the firmware on that latest MBP. In my case works fine out of the box in both macOS and Win10 with Mantis Venus + Vega 56. I still prefer my PC's 1080TI for its monstrous performance, but have to wait for a proper and solid solution for both macOS and bootcamp.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 21, 2018 3:35 pm  

@temkins Can you share your MacBook Pro Boot ROM Version? Is RX Vega 56 eGPU working with external monitor only? Any additional details you can share will help members in figuring out what they're doing or not doing right.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
hulk_0329
(@hulk_0329)
May 22, 2018 2:59 pm  
Posted by: temkins

AMD is plug and play now on MBP 15 (mid-2017) -  they seemed to patch the firmware on that latest MBP. In my case works fine out of the box in both macOS and Win10 with Mantis Venus + Vega 56. I still prefer my PC's 1080TI for its monstrous performance, but have to wait for a proper and solid solution for both macOS and bootcamp.

Hi,

I have the same setup. Do you need to mod anything in Windows 10 boot camp? When I tried to install the AMD driver it said no graphic card installed. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
temkins
(@temkins)
May 23, 2018 9:12 pm  

@temkins Can you share your MacBook Pro Boot ROM Version? Is RX Vega 56 eGPU working with external monitor only? Any additional details you can share will help members in figuring out what they're doing or not doing right.

Boot ROM Version MBP143.0173.B00

SMC Version (system) 2.45f0

RX Vega 56 (MSI) is working with 2 external monitors. Havn't tested it with a built-in one, will try to do will let you know. The point is that there are no specific details about my built - I may only mention, that
 1) I never had any previous eGPU installations - got a new MBP with Mantis Venus and MSI RX 56 and made a clean install of Bootcamp, Windows 10 Pro.
 2) eGPU was fully connected and powered during installation, connected through the top left port.
 3) After installation (even before updates) both connected displays powered on properly
4) AMD's control panel launched (installed with Bootcamp) listed 2 gpus - a built-in radeon 560, and the RX 56, which was correctly identified as external.
5) all tests (heaven and geekbench 4) returned nice results, which were inline with average RX 56 results.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
temkins
(@temkins)
May 23, 2018 9:17 pm  
Posted by: hulk_0329
Posted by: temkins

Hi,

I have the same setup. Do you need to mod anything in Windows 10 boot camp? When I tried to install the AMD driver it said no graphic card installed. Thanks.

No. In my case the only "tweak" I made after Win 10 Pro installation was activation, the first batch of updates and disabling further automatic system updates. I guess the latter is a Pro version option, it seems like you don't have this option in Home edition. I disabled it just in case, to ensure that any further Win updates won't break eGPU 🙂

Also, I got an automatic installation of AMD XConnect Technology, which seems to be responsible for this simple plug and play setup.

ReplyQuote