Best solution for a 2017 15" mbp  

of  2
  RSS

hulk_0329
(@hulk_0329)

Posted by: temkins
Posted by: Eightarmedpet
Posted by: itsage

@maximus I'm still working on the full review of the ASUS XG Station Pro [unboxing] but can tell you it fits your needs perfectly. The 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, quiet operation, and build quality are the highlights of this enclosure.

GTX 1080 is no doubt the higher performing graphics card. It's not a card I'd recommend for use with macOS. However it's easier to set up in Windows Bootcamp with your 15" MacBook Pro. The RX 580 works plug-and-play in macOS but will require some effort to get going in Windows.

Have you had chance to check how plug and play the 15 inch 2017's are with both OS with the latest updates? Because I have read  that AMD is plug and play in both macOS and W10 for the 15inch 2017 MBP's now (But obviously not my 13, oh no, that would be toooo good).

AMD is plug and play now on MBP 15 (mid-2017) -  they seemed to patch the firmware on that latest MBP. In my case works fine out of the box in both macOS and Win10 with Mantis Venus + Vega 56. I still prefer my PC's 1080TI for its monstrous performance, but have to wait for a proper and solid solution for both macOS and bootcamp.

Hi,

I have the same setup. Do you need to mod anything in Windows 10 boot camp? When I tried to install the AMD driver it said no graphic card installed. Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
temkins
(@temkins)

@temkins Can you share your MacBook Pro Boot ROM Version? Is RX Vega 56 eGPU working with external monitor only? Any additional details you can share will help members in figuring out what they're doing or not doing right.

Boot ROM Version MBP143.0173.B00

SMC Version (system) 2.45f0

RX Vega 56 (MSI) is working with 2 external monitors. Havn't tested it with a built-in one, will try to do will let you know. The point is that there are no specific details about my built - I may only mention, that
 1) I never had any previous eGPU installations - got a new MBP with Mantis Venus and MSI RX 56 and made a clean install of Bootcamp, Windows 10 Pro.
 2) eGPU was fully connected and powered during installation, connected through the top left port.
 3) After installation (even before updates) both connected displays powered on properly
4) AMD's control panel launched (installed with Bootcamp) listed 2 gpus - a built-in radeon 560, and the RX 56, which was correctly identified as external.
5) all tests (heaven and geekbench 4) returned nice results, which were inline with average RX 56 results.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
temkins
(@temkins)

Posted by: hulk_0329
Posted by: temkins
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

@maximus I'm still working on the full review of the ASUS XG Station Pro [unboxing] but can tell you it fits your needs perfectly. The 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, quiet operation, and build quality are the highlights of this enclosure.

GTX 1080 is no doubt the higher performing graphics card. It's not a card I'd recommend for use with macOS. However it's easier to set up in Windows Bootcamp with your 15" MacBook Pro. The RX 580 works plug-and-play in macOS but will require some effort to get going in Windows.

Have you had chance to check how plug and play the 15 inch 2017's are with both OS with the latest updates? Because I have read  that AMD is plug and play in both macOS and W10 for the 15inch 2017 MBP's now (But obviously not my 13, oh no, that would be toooo good).

AMD is plug and play now on MBP 15 (mid-2017) -  they seemed to patch the firmware on that latest MBP. In my case works fine out of the box in both macOS and Win10 with Mantis Venus + Vega 56. I still prefer my PC's 1080TI for its monstrous performance, but have to wait for a proper and solid solution for both macOS and bootcamp.

Hi,

I have the same setup. Do you need to mod anything in Windows 10 boot camp? When I tried to install the AMD driver it said no graphic card installed. Thanks.

No. In my case the only "tweak" I made after Win 10 Pro installation was activation, the first batch of updates and disabling further automatic system updates. I guess the latter is a Pro version option, it seems like you don't have this option in Home edition. I disabled it just in case, to ensure that any further Win updates won't break eGPU Smile

Also, I got an automatic installation of AMD XConnect Technology, which seems to be responsible for this simple plug and play setup.

ReplyQuote
 of  2