Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Blender 2.8 with egpu on macbook pro 2013?

Blender 2.8 with egpu on macbook pro 2013?  

RSS

kehyler
(@kehyler)

Hi All,

I am a newby considering setting up the following system, but I am concerned whether or not it will work. Can anyone give me some insight?

Macbook pro late 2013 (supports metal 2) with dedicated nvidia GPU. Currently running 10.14. Note that I have thunderbolt 2, and that egpu support is not "officially" supported. You have to enable it like in the following:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/potentially-accelerate-all-applications-on-egpu-macos-10-13-4/  

To make my system more blender friendly, I was considering something like a RX 580, or maybe vega 56-64 egpu in a thunderbolt 3 chassis.

I would use the following equipment:

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White - Apple 

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q78VMPW/ref=twister_B07GSDLQ1D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I'm excited to maybe join the community!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joysthokkins
(@joysthokkins)

Hi @kehyler

For now it useless, no support for OpenCL, only CUDA on MacOS;

Blender 2.8

rMBP 2014 750m 10.14.6
i9 9900k "Hac Pro" with Vega 56 and Sonnet Breakaway 650 with Sapphire Vega 64 –> iMac 2009 as display

DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.1b3 | FCPX 10.4.6

ReplyQuote
kehyler
(@kehyler)

Posted by: @joysthokkins

Hi @kehyler

For now it useless, no support for OpenCL, only CUDA on MacOS;

Blender 2.8

Doesn't prorender from AMD bypass the need for OpenCL?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joysthokkins
(@joysthokkins)

@kehyler

prorender is Ok, it uses GPUs, but i didn't play with it yet

rMBP 2014 750m 10.14.6
i9 9900k "Hac Pro" with Vega 56 and Sonnet Breakaway 650 with Sapphire Vega 64 –> iMac 2009 as display

ReplyQuote
kehyler
(@kehyler)

@kehyler

prorender is Ok, it uses GPUs, but i didn't play with it yet

Actually, you might have the exact setup that I was thinking about. Can you confirm that blender with your rMBP 2014, blender 2.8 with AMD prorender recognizes your external gpus? If so, please let me know which vega and in which external chasis you are using.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
joysthokkins
(@joysthokkins)

@kehyler

Send me a blender scene file, i can render it and send scores back to you;
For me best app for eGPU is Davinci Resolve, incredible performance boost;
I just started to learn blender;

rMBP 2014 750m 10.14.6

ReplyQuote
kehyler
(@kehyler)

@kehyler

Send me a blender scene file, i can render it and send scores back to you;
For me best app for eGPU is Davinci Resolve, incredible performance boost;
I just started to learn blender;

I'm not trying to ask for a benchmark, rather just that you can select your vega egpu when using prorender. Do you see vega 56 or 64 appearing in blender?

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Trusted Member

If you want good performance in Blender on macOS you have to use High Sierra. Cycles render and Eevee won't work on Mojave or Catalina because of CL depreciations. If you have a newer GPU that doesn't work in High Sierra you'll have to use Windows.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018, Radeon 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition, Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote