Boosting Adobe CC on MacBook Pro 13 2020 connected to LG Ultrafine 5K

Notifications
Clear all

Boosting Adobe CC on MacBook Pro 13 2020 connected to LG Ultrafine 5K  

RSS

Covalent
(@covalent)

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 13 2020 and an LG Ultrafine 5K monitor hooked up via TB3.

Would like to get an eGPU to enhance performance of Adobe CC apps, namely After Effects previews and rendering, plus screen redraw of complex Illustrator graphics, especially when placed in InDesign with the high-quality view settings enabled.

Was thinking of a Razer Core X enclosure with a Radeon RX 580, plus a Titan Ridge TB3 card to drive the display, but I’m not certain a setup like this would support 5K. Assuming it works at all, are there any other components or cables I’m overlooking? Is the RX 580 sufficient for this purpose?

That said, 5K isn’t absolutely necessary. If there’s a 4K upscaled solution, I could probably make that work, too.

And, if the eGPU provides a boost in performance even if not connected to the display directly, I’d consider that as well. Just curious what the performance penalty might be.

Appreciate any advice and counsel this community can offer. Very grateful that I found this resource.

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The RX 580 can do 5K. The Titan Ridge should work but might not (you have something to power it?). You will probably not have normal brightness control or USB support for the display. There is probably a DDC/CI app that can be used to change the brightness.

4K would be much less of a hassle.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Covalent
(@covalent)

@joevt, thanks. I was thinking the Razer box might have room for both the Radeon and TB3 cards. If that's the case, would the TB3 card output to the LG5K just by virtue of sharing the box with the Radeon card?

And if I go the 4K route do I just need a cable that translates DisplayPort or HDMI to TB3? Any recommendations on a specific cable?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I have a similar set up and I couldn't get an add in card to work reliably... IMO (and thats just mine) its not worth the effort.

Is your 5K a first or second gen? because if that latter things are a hell of a lot simpler and a single cable will solve your issues.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Covalent
(@covalent)

@eightarmedpet, it's brand new, so guess that makes it 2nd gen. What setup/cable(s) would you recommend?

And if there's still some boost by virtue of just plugging in the enclosure to the MB's other TB3 port, I'd be fine with that, too. Not a gamer, so the eGPU doesn't necessarily have to drive the 5K screen directly if there's still some benefit.

Really just looking to minimize the beachballs I get waiting for complex vector graphics and transparency effects in AI and InDesign to refresh. 

ReplyQuote
Covalent
(@covalent)

So I have the Razer Core X with the Radeon RX 580 now.
Still need advice on the right cable to connect to the LG Ultrafine 5K.
I'm resigned to the 4K upscaling.
Is HDMI or DisplayPort better to bridge to Thunderbolt 3?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@covalent, apologies for the belated reply, so cable wise, I'm not going to link you as I am not 100% sure myself (only have second hand knowledge on this subject) but I believe the cable you are after is a Huawei VR cable which has USB-C one end and DP and USB A the other which is needed to make the speakers and camera function. 

@joevt is the person who would be able to tell you more exactly your cable options as he's posted it elsewhere on the forum.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Covalent
(@covalent)

@joevt,

Per Eightarmedpet, would you have a cable recommendation for my setup?

- MacBook Pro 13 2020 (4 TB3 ports)

- LG Ultrafine 5K display

- Razer Core X with Sapphire RX 580 installed

I'm resigned to 4K upscaling as I don't think I'll get full res with the external unit driving the display.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@covalent, to connect LG UltraFine 5K to RX 580 and get 5K requires a Thunderbolt add-in card between the RX580 and the LG UltraFine 5K. Methods and caveats have been discussed elsewhere.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@covalent, here's latest example:
https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/blackmagic-alternative-egpu/

Also, try google:
"joevt" "riser" "gc-titan ridge"

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote