Budget £400 - Upgrade my v3-571G or sell and buy new

Notifications
Clear all

Budget £400 - Upgrade my v3-571G or sell and buy new  

RSS

Ollie Dean
(@ollie_dean)

Hello,

I have an Acer v3-571G  i7-3610QM 8Gb GT640M and I'm looking to either add an egpu or sell it and upgrade. I'd like to game, obviously, but also I've been studying machine learning so I need a setup I can use CUDA on linux.

egpu:
  I've read mixed reports of success with this model so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what I need to check.
The Motherboard is v1.13 VA50_HC_CR and the wifi slot has pci width x1 (2.5GB)

sell:
Honestly this laptop has been nothing but trouble so I won't miss it. Optimus drivers have always been trouble on linux and it sometimes gets so hot the graphics throttles on windows. I think I can get £200 for it on ebay which puts my budget up to £600 
I haven't decided yet whether to stick with a laptop or go for a desktop so I was hoping for advice.

Does anyone have an expressport laptop with an egpu which they use for gaming and machine learning?

Which option will get me most bang for my buck - adding egpu to my v3-571g, selling it and buying and expressport laptop and adding egpu or buying a new desktop? 

many thanks in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote