Can I connect a Sapphire GearBox with a GTX 1060S to my Acer Swift 3 SF314-57G w...

Notifications
Clear all

Can I connect a Sapphire GearBox with a GTX 1060S to my Acer Swift 3 SF314-57G without problems?  

of  2
  RSS

flo94
(@flo94)

Hi all,

I bought an Acer Swift 3 SF314-57G-71GL a few days ago which has the following technical data:

• Intel Core i7-1065G7
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM (Hynix H9HCNNNCPMALHR-NEE)
  • Kingston A2000 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Iris Pro G7 iGPU
  • Nvidia GeForce MX250 dGPU with 2GB DDR5 dedicated RAM
  • Thunderbolt 3 with probably 2 PCI lanes
  • Here is a link to my Benchmark with more detailed informations: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/30860733

As mentioned in the title, I would like to connect a Sapphire GearBox eGPU case with probably a Nvidia GeForce GTX1660 Super in it via Thunderbolt 3.
I have an external screen which will be connected directly to the eGPU. I will buy the eGPU case and GPU only in a few months.

I found this built: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-14-acer-swift-3-10th4cg-rtx-2070-super-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10/
But in that setup a much more powerful (and hence more bandwith needing) GPU and the internal monitor is used (which I read reduces the performance to ~60-65%).

In the following thread there are supposedly doubts that a eGPU work because it is not "certified" for eGPUs: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.acer.com%2Fde%2Fdiscussion%2F578898%2Facer-swift-3-sf314-57-egfx-egpu-moeglich

Therefore I have the following questions:

• I would like to know if there are doubts that this setup will work flawlessly (I know there will be about 15% less performance due to 2 lanes instead of 4)?
  • Does anyone have experience with a similar or even same setup?

That the eGPU will work properly is essential for keeping my new laptop within the 30 days return policy...

Thank you for your efforts in advance!

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 (MX250) [10th,4C,G] + GTX 1660 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sapphire GearBox) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@flo94, An Ice Lake CPU laptop with Thunderbolt 3 port has a direct x4 PCIe connection. The build you referenced might have some data inconsistencies in performance but the Thunderbolt 3 eGPU worked. Using through an external monitor with eGPU yields the best performance. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
flo94
(@flo94)

@itsage, ok, thanks for the feedback, this sounds good!

But I have found something concerning:

HWiNFO64 shows that there is no slot implemented for PCIe:
https://ibb.co/DD36XkW

But the Thunderbolt Control Center shows that TB3 is available:
https://ibb.co/19LSK7V

What does that mean?

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 (MX250) [10th,4C,G] + GTX 1660 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sapphire GearBox) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
flo94
(@flo94)

So my main question is:

Will it work for sure or should I buy the enclosure and the graphics card within the 30 day return policy of my laptop to test it?

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Eminent Member

I think it should work fine. I have a similar laptop and the TB3 PCIE only shows up in hwinfo when a device is connected to it. If you look in device manager and sort by connection you should see it. It also should be x4. Even if it is x2 that does not seem to be the bottleneck with TB3, the bottleneck seems to be the encoding/decoding of the TB3 signal.

Having said that, I would not invest much money in things that you can't return.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
flo94
(@flo94)

@lwf, thanks for the reply! Ok that explains why there is no slot mplemented. Yes I can see the TB3 controller in the device manager, thanks!

Sure I can return it, but only within the legal return period.

So I think I will test it soon and make a review here!

ReplyQuote
flo94
(@flo94)

I bought the GTX 1660S and the Sapphire GearBox yesterday.

I just made a longer review here: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-acer-swift-3-sf314-57g-71gl-mx250-10th4ch-gtx-1660s-23gbps-tb3-sapphire-gearbox-windows-10-pro/

Everything hardware related works fine so far.

But I have some issues which are probably software related:

• After hot plugging the eGPU, Windows is lagging (micro stutters while scrolling, etc.)
  • USB peripheral connected directly to the eGPU (like mouse and keyboard) are sometimes hanging or even not reacting (re-lugging solves the problem)
  • Display also sometimes gets black for a few seconds (about every hour

What can cause that kind of issues and how can I fix them?

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)
Eminent Member

Hi,

regarding your first problem: "After hot plugging the eGPU, Windows is lagging (micro stutters while scrolling, etc.)"

It seems like in some setups windows feeds the output back through the internal gpu. That causes stutters. To get rid of it you can try a few things:

1. Disable the dGPU in the device manager (i have it disabled pretty much always. I will only enable it if i want to play something more intense on the go, that has not happened so far)
  2. Disable the iGPU => see if that helps, you can reenable it afterwards, somehow it works better afterwards for me
  3. Play around with the different windows modes (internal screen only, duplicate, extend, external screen). Sometimes Extend mode works well for me, sometimes only the extended screen will get rid of the stutters.

So far I am also not completely satisfied. Disabling and reenabling the iGPU seems to be the most stable solution, but it just seems like a clunky solution.

Please let me know how your system reacts to the solutions I list here, maybe we can come up with a good solution together.

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)
Eminent Member

Also, at first I just left the iGPU disabled when gaming, but that is also not great, because if you forget about that and just unplug the eGPU without reenabling the iGPU my system always got stuck.

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
flo94
(@flo94)

@gerd_fuafsljfe, I solved the issues with the hanging USB devices. It was (as so often) a software problem caused by the energy options (see my linked review from my previous post and there the section "Issues"). I will try to fix the last issue with the lags and I will try the workarounds you mentioned, thanks for that. I will tell you more when I test it tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
 of  2