Catalina Mac Mini (Late 2018) + LG Ultrafine 5K. Which eGPU? Please help out a v...

Notifications
Clear all

Catalina Mac Mini (Late 2018) + LG Ultrafine 5K. Which eGPU? Please help out a very confused noob  

RSS

Muscovite
(@muscovite)

Hi all,

The idea is to boost the Mini's graphics capabilities but also play some games in a Windows 10 VM using Parallels 15 (which state they support eGPUs).

So, how does this typically work?

You have a computer that is connected to an eGPU using Thunderbolt and then the display is plugged into the enclosure's graphics cards output over DVI/DP/HDMI?  In other words, is the eGPU's Thunderbolt connection to the computer a one-way street or can it "send back" display data back to the host that could pass it over to the display connected to the computer's other TB port?

In my case, can I plug the enclosure into Mac Mini's one TB port with the monitor connected to the other (there two TB controllers as I understand each with two ports).

If this is the only way then I guess I am stuck with my TB-only Ultrafine because I haven't heard of any graphics cards that  would have a Thunderbolt port, unless there's some adaptor that can "convert" HDMI/DP -> TB.  The display also has a camera (nice to keep) and speakers (can lose).

Hope the above makes some sense, sorry if I am asking the obvious.

Any help much appreciated

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet 550 + Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.4, does NOT work in Bootcamp Windows)

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

I know you can accelerate the internal display of a MacBook with an eGPU so yes, the TB3 cable is bi-directionnal.

I am less convinced you can use a VM like Parallels to do any serious gaming. You better do a Bootcamp installation. There are plenty of builds in this site.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@jangoloti_1, Thanks for the input!  Gotta read up on that.

So, this should in theory work like that:

Headless eGPU <> Mac Mini > LG Ultrafine 5K

Anyone got this working like that?

I also just found out that the official Apple solution is the Blackmagic eGPU/eGPU pro.  This has two TB ports so you can hook up the LG Ultrafine directly to the box.  It is obviously very pricey, bulky and simply not available over here.  But this got me thinking.  If there is an enclosure that has room for two graphics cards, could I maybe use the extra slot for a PCIe -> TB3 card, thus adding the extra Thunderbolt port?  Or do I have that already in the Mac Mini and it should work as described above?

Thanks again

PS I wonder if there is enough capacity in the Thunderbolt 3 protocol to send the data to the card and back to the computer without halving performance...

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet 550 + Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.4, does NOT work in Bootcamp Windows)

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

Answers from Sonnet pre-sales support:

I have an LG Ultrafine 5K display connected to a Mac Mini (Late 2018) running Catalina 10.15.4

Q1.  WIll it be possible to connect eGFX Breakaway Box 650 (“Box") to the Mini headless”, with nothing connected to the outputs of the card inside the Box?

Yes!

The LG only has a single TB3 input so I can’t plug that into your Box as there is only one TB port.

Yes, correct.

So, will this work:

eGFX <—> Mac Mini TB Port 1
Mac Mini TB Port 2 —> LG Ultrafine 5K

If this setup is possible at all, I realize there will be a performance hit as the data would be going in both directions to/from the Box.
I also understand there are two TB3 controllers inside the Mini with two ports each so the display and the Box must be connected to the ports on two different controllers.

Yes, you are correct.

We would recommend using the Breakaway Box on one controller (port 1, port 2) and the LG Ultrafine on another controller (port 3, port 4) for maximum throughput.

Q2. Will the monitor being connected directly to the Mini retain all of its existing capabilities (webcam, speakers, ability to adjust settings from the Apple Preferences, etc) with the Box connected to the Mini’s other TB3 port as well?

Yes, performance should not be affected when using the configuration mentioned above (dedicated controller per device)

Q3. If the above is possible will I be able to run Win 10 in Bootcamp?

Sadly no.

Neither Apple, nor Sonnet, nor NVIDIA, nor AMD currently supports eGPUs with Boot Camp.

Q4. I can only use AMD Cards, and not NVidia in this configuration, correct?

Yes, this is correct.

Only AMD based GPU’s are compatible in MacOS at this time.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Hey @muscovite, I had the same set up as you for about a week, but have used the 5K with an egpu for a couple of years now.

If you have the second gen 5K you will be able to connect it to a GPU directly using the right cable... how long have you owned this monitor and any idea if you have gen 1 or gen 2?

I have gen 1 so I can't connect directly to any ogpu except the Blackmagic one which I'm not 100% sold on.

I ran an egpu in "loopback" mode for ages and the performance loss wasn't that bad. I'd recommend getting an Nvidia card as they are easier to set up in Bootcamp.

I can dive into more details if you want, but long and the short of it....

1. Instal Windows via bootcamp (not using parallels).
  2. Buy RTX 2060S and egpu enclosure
  3. Accept you will only ever be able to use the egpu in windows to play games
  4. Profit.
This post was modified 2 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@eightarmedpet, Hi, I only got the LG a month ago, is there a dp --> tb3 cable?  I guess I would then lose the inbuilt speakers (no prob) and the camera (bummer) if I did that.

Got the Sonnet 550.  Trying to get it to work with the 5700xt is impossible, despite itsage's guidance.  I did manage to get the RX580 to work briefly, but that disappeared with the next restart.

Also, I measured the performance gain in MacOS (plug'n play so far) for mini using Geekbench.  5x with the $500 Sapphire Nitro + 5700XT and 6x (!!!) with the $200 Pulse RX 580!!! WTF?!

Needless to say, veeeeery frustrated thus far.

You may be right about that forget MacOS and just get an Nvidia for Bootcamp Windows gaming...  The problem with this solution in times of quarantine is that I have too much time on my hands and wanted to sort through tons of family movies (some in 4K so an egpu working in MacOS might be helpful to this Mac Mini), and I have an opportunity to tinker with stuff, however frustrating that may have been Smile

Thanks for the tip again!  Stay safe!

ReplyQuote