Notifications
Clear all

Choice of egpu for 2013 Mac Pro  

RSS

MarkyR74
(@markyr74)

Hi, I am after some advice, I plan to buy a late 2013 Mac Pro as I need a new computer and this should be fine for my needs. I’ll probably get the quad core dual D300 model which doesn’t seem to be mentioned much on here?

I plan to use a Windows, either 7 or if it’s better performance 10,to play some old games. I’m talking Crysis 1 which I’d like to run smooth, Starcraft 2, half Life 2 etc.

Reading up on egpu’s I was thinking of an Nvidia 1070 to run these? Is this a good idea? And if so is it better to build your own egpu with a card, or will the Gigabyte Aorus work? I would like to keep the overall footprint down of the setup.

Or are their older cards that will work better in an egpu setup that I should look at? I would like to get around 60fps with these games, not overall fussed about 4K, would be nice but equally 2k is.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Why do you want the Mac Pro trashcan for Windows gaming?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MarkyR74
(@markyr74)

Posted by: itsage

Why do you want the Mac Pro trashcan for Windows gaming?

Because the games I want to play aren’t taxing these days and I want a Mac OSX as my daily OS, not Windows. Does it matter anyway? Please don’t tell me to build a PC.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

A Thunderbolt 3 Mac mini would be the best choice for your plans. The Mac Pro trashcan is a bad choice because its cooling system is not good for gaming purposes. On top of that, the only option to get eGPU running in Boot Camp Windows with the trashcan is through paid solution by netkas/MacVidcards.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

Shrapnl liked
ReplyQuote
Shrapnl
(@shrapnl)
Eminent Member

@itsage is right on.  I have a 2013 nMP and have been able to get a Titan X (Pascal) working in macOS.  There are some steps to enable it (when to plug in, etc after a reboot) but can be done.  I have had no success however getting it to work in Windows at all.  I just picked up a 2018 MacBook Pro this weekend and am hopeful to get a much smoother experience across both macOS and Windows.  My situation is similar to yours by the way.  I much prefer macOS for everything I can and only use Windows for gaming.

-Shrapnl

2018 MacBook Pro 15" - Sonnet 550 - NVidia Titan X (Pascal)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Interesting post and I too have found the same findings as @itsage

When you get time can someone explain what netkas/macvidcards do with the 1080ti 'World's First Efi Egpu Card For Mac Pro 6,1' that would make this work with bootcamp in compared to other cards like the AGB 1070? Why does this one work? Is it just that particular card that for some reason works? i.e If I get a Razer Core X & 1080ti would it work in bootcamp or have they done something with the card to make it recognised in bootcamp? 

Thank you!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote