Compatible eGPUs with a 13" 2019 MacBook Pro

Notifications
Clear all

Compatible eGPUs with a 13" 2019 MacBook Pro  

RSS

scott_e
(@scott_e)

Hi, I'm currently doing some research into the parts I would need to build my own eGPU and it'd be great if I can get some clarification what GPUs are supported with macOS Catalina on my MacBook Pro?

After reading https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544 , I'm not 100% sure if they are saying the GPUs they recommend are the only ones that will work, or that they are the only cards that they officially support with all other cards needing third party drivers which they do not recommend.

For context, the eGPU I want to build would ideally be a relatively cheap and not very powerful. The only game I play on my MacBook is DotA 2 (I play everything else on my PS4) and while it's certainly playable on what I have now, there is a lot of room for improvement. After looking around I think the RX 550 would be ideal for me (cheap, but will give me a pretty great performance boost) but I'm unsure if it will work well considering it's not on the list. 

In case it matters, I'm only talking about using the eGPU with macOS here - I don't, and would rather not have to, have Windows installed on my machine.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags