Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
connecting an old lenovo w520 to a thunderbolt 3 docking station

connecting an old lenovo w520 to a thunderbolt 3 docking station  

RSS

rottyguy
(@rottyguy)

Hey folks, sorry for the heresy but I'm just looking to connect my old laptop to a thunderbolt 3 docking station (no external gpu needed) to access all the external peripherals through the laptop's expresscard and wanted to see the minimum hardware needed (is this even possible?).  looks like something like an external pcie ( http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V3.0.html ) + thunderbolt board ( https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Alpine-Thunderbolt-Components-GC-Alpine/dp/B0722SV69N ) + some power supply is all i need.  Does this sound correct?  thx

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

There would be a complex of adapters (Sonnet EC to TB1, TB1 to TB3) & your EC2 port would limit bandwidth to 4Gbps.

Simpler and more cost effective would be a USB 3.0 expresscard + USB 3.0 dock, or upgrade to a Thunderbolt 3 port equipped laptop. The 6th-gen Latitude 5570 is a low cost second-hand ebay purchase. Also, the W520 had a Lenovo dock option to attach peripherals.

This post was modified 1 month ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
rottyguy
(@rottyguy)

hi yeah understood.  we bought the tb3 docking station b/c my wife got a new laptop for school and my w520 is working fine so reluctant to purchase another laptop (it's starting to look like an electronics graveyard here) so if the path was manageable, I'd pursue it.  I really only use it to rdp into work so it doesn't have to be all that fast...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

The W520 dock is really cheap on eBay, no Thunderbolt needed. Not sure why simple RDP would need TB at all.

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote