Could i fit a RTX 3080 into a razer core x chroma? would it make the RTX slower?...

Notifications
Clear all

Could i fit a RTX 3080 into a razer core x chroma? would it make the RTX slower? I'm using a Razer blade 15 (2019 mid)  

of  2
  RSS

NSA Agent
(@nsa_agent)

Could i fit a RTX 3080 into a razer core x chroma? would it make the RTX slower? I'm using a Razer blade 15 (2019 mid)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
noveske
(@noveske)

Posted by: @nsa_agent

Razer Core X Chroma max inner dimensions:
Length : 12.99”/ 330 mm
Height*: 6.29” / 160 mm
Width : 2.24” / 57 mm

General 3080 Dimensions: 

Length: 11.4" / 285mm

Width: 4.4" / 112mm

I'd say yes. Gonna assume here that Nvidia's measurement of width is the slot width and not the actual height. That the width of the card is measured and Nvidia measured height with the card laying on it's side in the case. 

2 builds on the front page build database: 

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-xps-13-9380-rtx-3080-32gbits-s-tb3-razer-core-x-win10-1909/

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-acer-predator-triton-700-gtx1080-maxq-7th-4c-rtx-3080-gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-chroma-win-10/

This post was modified 2 months ago
2018 Intel NUC8i7BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jae Ahn
(@jae_ahn)

I just built mine. Needed some modifications. Will post pics. 

all in all I got the EVGA FTW3 rtx3080 and needed to upgrade PSU. SO YES YOU WILL CUT SOME METAL off if you want the power plug flush with the case

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ElEl Penaflorida Mariano
(@elel_penaflorida_mariano)

@jae_ahn, wow that sucks really doesnt fit at all the evga 3080 ftw3? i got that comming and wanting to put it in my razer core x chroma

ReplyQuote
Jae Ahn
(@jae_ahn)

Everything fits. Only thing for RTX3080 is the power plug. 3 8pin connectors. 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjFEJ5Xu1-I7gbRX3UAYRU8OcrVnBg

All I got to say is performance is terrible due to TB3. So I decided to just build desktop.

anyone wanna buy my core x?

ReplyQuote
ElEl Penaflorida Mariano
(@elel_penaflorida_mariano)

@jae_ahn, what is the psu you upgraded too?

The 700 watts with the 2x8 pins won’t work? The razer x chroma you think? Or would need an splitter for it? My ftw3 is comming today and have the core x chroma 

ReplyQuote
Jae Ahn
(@jae_ahn)

Seasonic 850watt psu. The form factor is exactly the same size as stock psu. Just need to cut some metal so it sits flush. 

And no you need all three 8 pin connectors.  Tellin ya you are going to be disappointed with performance. 

ReplyQuote
Jae Ahn
(@jae_ahn)

I did read it somewhere on this site (forums) that a simple Y-splitter "can" be a solution however it hasn't been tested.  Someone should try.  All i know is that with upgraded PSU with legit 3-8 pin connectors does work.  however you are only squeezing out about 35% of the GPU...  This is the second GPU i tried out - i've had a 2070 Super and 2080 Super before the 3080 and the performance gains was NOT worth or even differential at all.  

Tested on Superposition with a 2070 Super + external monitor only and only had about 6000 points. I have a stock Razer 15 advance 2018 model that has a GTX 1060M and that scored only 4.5K...  Tested with 3080 (same setup) only had 8.5K however being synthetic tests - it is expected this way.  Testing 3080 on FULL Desktop build (Core I7 10700K + 16X PCI 3.0) my scores were 16.8K.  

The greatest difference was in actual games.  The FPS dips on EGPU setup is unplayable to me - just like it states on all tests on youtube. The 1% dips are too great and he was right about a dedicated built in GPU on laptop is way better than EGPU.  

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

@jae_ahn, the problem for me with a dedicated laptop GPU is the battery life sucks, they're big and bulky, and at that point you might as well get a desktop. They're also crazy expensive.

What I want is a portable, energy efficient laptop that I can take with me, and then an eGPU to turn into almost a desktop when I am at my home office.

eGPU setups are not perfect, but I'm satisfied with the compromise for now. Hopefully the tech will continue to improve. Wouldn't it be neat to plug a laptop into one of the new gaming consoles and take advantage of the affordable performance within?

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jae Ahn
(@jae_ahn)

i had the same intent. had to see it for my self on performance. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2