Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
DELL Inspirion 7391 with i7-10510U - TB3?

DELL Inspirion 7391 with i7-10510U - TB3?  

RSS

(@igor_dasunddas)

Hello guys and girls,

First: thanks for such a precious gem, namely this website and forum.

I just bought the Dell Inspirion 7391-based laptop / convertible with a i7-10510U, 16gb DDR3-RAM, 512GB NVMe-SSD.

I know I should have asked beforehand, but it was a nice deal and I'd really like this notebook for daily use.

Now since I intend to replace my desktop, I would like to know if I can connect an external GPU-case via Thunderbolt 3. The XPS13 models claim they have a x4 connection while this model didn't, but I hope so.

I am rarely playing games at all, but when I do, I want a good performance on 1080p or 2160p. I play RocketLeague for the most part.

Will this laptop (I just ordered it, so I could return it within 14 days if it happens to not satisfy my needs) be able to run a TB3-eGPU-box with say a 1080GTX?

Does anyone by any chance know anything about it?

Thanks for your help and time in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@igor_dasunddas It has only one Thunderbolt 3 port so x4 PCIe connection is not a given. In late 2019, I would find it very silly for any manufacturers to implement Thunderbolt 3 connectivity at x2 PCIe however. You can download and run HWiNFO64 then expand the PCI Express Root Ports to see more details. This is a screen capture on MSI Prestige 15 which has i7-10510U CPU. You can see under PCI Express Root Port #9, there’s a PCI Express Bus #3 with an x4 connection going to Intel JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 controller.

This post was modified 6 days ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@igor_dasunddas)

@itsage

I just got my device today and I tried my best, but I am not entirely sure, if this device has full x4 TB3 support.

According to a Service and Setup Manual I found on Dell, it apparently is expected to support full speed. The attached screenshot suggests so, too.

Screenshot of HWinfo64 on Dell Inspiron 7391, 2019

Edit: just figured I could start the "Intel Thunderbolt (TM) Control Center" and in the "Info" menu it says the following:

Thunderbolt(TM) Software
   Application version: 1.0.18.0
   Controller-driver-version: 1.41.648.4

Thunderbolt(TM) Controller 1
   Thunderbolt(TM) Generation: Thunderbolt 3 (15E8)
   Port count: 1
   Security level: Kernel-DMA-Protection (SL1)
   NVM Firmware version: 41.0
   External GPU support: yes

So I guess it does support Thunderbolt 3 with 4 lanes or at least it seems to say so.

This post was modified 5 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@igor_dasunddas That is most likely a x4 PCIe 3.0 Thunderbolt 3 connection. The only unknown is the particular TB3 controller inside the laptop. That information would only show up when you have a Thunderbolt 3 connected.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@igor_dasunddas)

Alright. I will probably try to get my hands on a box and see if a 980gtx works with it.

I wiall post a build once I accomplished it. Thank you very much for your time and help!

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

I don't see any Thunderbolt controllers in the pictures. Connect at least a USB device (even a mouse or keyboard will do).

15e8 is the JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] according to the pci database but I think 2C refers to the JHL7340.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@igor_dasunddas)

I will connect my phone later today and make another screenshot. I also ordered a 1080 gaming box from gigabyte, scheduled to arrive till Saturday.

Edit: it seems I don't have a proper USB-C-to-USB-C-cord.... waiting for my box to arrive...

This post was modified 3 days ago

ReplyQuote