Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Dell XPS 15 7590 vs MacBook Pro (late 2016)... Should I change it?

Dell XPS 15 7590 vs MacBook Pro (late 2016)... Should I change it?  

RSS

jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Hello friends!

I'm owner of a fantastic MacBookPro with Touch Bar (Late 2016) i7, 8GB RAM, 256... Now, after some years, I'm thinking about an upgrade (at least ammount of RAM and SSD)! I seen the new DELL XPS 15 7590, I think the OLED screen should be awesome! However I'm not sure about the single port Thunderbolt 3 performances! What do you think about it? Some suggestions?

Thank you!

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thunderbolt 3 connection in the XPS 15 is worse than the 15" MacBook Pro. They route it through the PCH which has barely any cooling. Therefore performance will not be as stable even if the CPU is more powerful. Here's a photo from a Reddit user who took the back case off. Dell did a very half-ass job imo to remedy PCH cooling [as detailed in my post].

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

Hi @itsage, thank you! That's one of my biggest fears (performances)... Many people says that the XPS is unstable... 🙄

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I would recommend the Alienware M15 R2. The cooling system is a lot better than most laptops. If you configure it with the base GTX 1660 Ti dGPU, cooling overhead would help the CPU significantly during eGPU use. Both Thunderbolt 3 and AGA connection are wired to the CPU directly.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

jefniro liked
ReplyQuote