Notifications
Clear all

Does the perfect laptop exist?  

RSS

Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

I'd like it to stay cool and quiet and have the battery last all day.  I don't want it to look like a "gaming laptop" (Zephyrus would be fine.  Alienware not so much)

When I plug it into my EGPU I want it to become a MONSTER and push 4k 60fps at reasonably high settings.  I know I'll need raytracing turned off and there's TB3 overhead.  That's fine.  I'll upgrade the video card to an Ampere 3080 Ti next year if I need to.

I think I have the eGPU part figured out:  A Razer Core X with an RTX 2080 Ti, with the GPU plugged into my 4K tv.

I'm struggling to find the right laptop and I'm hoping something will spring to mind for someone here.  I think it would look something like this:

- 10th gen i7

- 32GB RAM

- Integrated graphics or a very low-end video card

- 14" or 15" screen

- I think a 2-in-1 would be cool, but definitely not required.

- Not a MacBook.  I already have one for work and I want something different.

- Prefer to not get a Razer.  I have a Blade 14" and it's already overheated and bulged two batteries.  I'm not a fan of them right now.

It seems like all the laptops that have big CPU, RAM, and TB3 also have big GPUs and I'm just not interested in having a power-hungry heat generator in my lap when I know I'll be plugged into the eGPU whenever I'm gaming.

Thanks for any ideas!

2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ryan_steckler, Take a look at the LG Gram 15. I have been using the 17" version with the 8th gen CPU and really enjoy it. I prefer it day-to-day vs. MacBook Pro (both 13" and 16"). Perfect weight distribution and it's barely 3 lbs for a 17" screen laptop. Battery lasts all day. There are two M.2 NVMe drive slots. One accessible RAM slot to upgrade (max is 40GB). My recent build with the LG Gram 17" wasn't for 4K gaming but it worked great [build link]. For an idea of i7-1065G7 laptop 4K gaming, take a look at my Razer Blade Steath + RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box [build link].

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

@itsage, Thanks for the tip on LG Gram.  That led me to a bunch of other competitors.

For those who follow, here's some notes on current options.  I'm going to add more and pick one in the next few days.

2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

So I ended up buying an HP Spectre x360 13 today.  The more I looked around, the more I realized I wanted a convertible.  15" ended up being too unweildly.  The Spectre is pretty cool in the first few hours I've had it:

Ice Lake CPU that has the TB3 controller on chip with Iris Plus graphics and no dGPU to mess things up.  Super portable with crazy thin bezels and the smallest webcam/windows hello camera I've ever seen.  Two TB3 ports.  USBA.  Awesome design (in my eye).  4k AMOLED screen.  Great (8hr+) battery life.

Now to buy a GPU and eGPU.  I'm pretty certain I'll end up with the Razer Core X.  I'll probably end up with an EVGA 2080 Ti, too, but I need to do some research there.

ReplyQuote