Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Doubt about what EGPU buy for MacBook Pro retina 13" 2018 Mojave, HELP please. (...

Doubt about what EGPU buy for MacBook Pro retina 13" 2018 Mojave, HELP please. (maybe rx580 aorus box)  

RSS

Odine
(@odine)

Hello guys, I have been reading for some days some post.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2018 4 cores i5, I wanted to buy a egpu, I preffer that it will be plug&play on both macOS and windows 10 (I have a partition for windows 10, is not through bootcamp)

I'm shuffling two options: Aorus gaming box 1070 OR Aorus gaming box rx580.

I know its better option Nvidia 1070 over the rx580, but IF rx580 is plug&play on windows 10 partition and macOS partition, I will go ahead for rx580 choice.

I don't want to be fighting with a possible aorus Nvidia 1070 if the rx580 is just that simple as connect and go.

Only in the case that I have to be installing drivers, doing different things to make rx580 work, I will preffer 1070 just because its a better graphic card, but for me is very important the plug&play with no headaches.

Do really rx580 work as a plug&play for both systems (windows and macOS)?

That's my question, as soon some of you answer me I will buy one or another.

Thank you very much in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I can't answer your question, but I do know that regardless of plug and play support Nvidia cards underperform in macOS (source: First hand experience with a Hackintosh running the same game in both OS).

I ran a 1070 in W10 only for a year due to only needing it for games, and it was plug and play with my 2017 13inch, so which card is right for you is down to your use case too...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Odine
(@odine)

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

I can't answer your question, but I do know that regardless of plug and play support Nvidia cards underperform in macOS (source: First hand experience with a Hackintosh running the same game in both OS).

I ran a 1070 in W10 only for a year due to only needing it for games, and it was plug and play with my 2017 13inch, so which card is right for you is down to your use case too...

thanks for your reply, were you able to connect directly to Mac (on windows I mean) without external monitor and still plug&play?

My idea on egpu is mainly for gaming via windows, but I want compatibility on macOS because I will have connected to the box the monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer, my idea is just turn on Mac, select OS and go, so I wanted to work on macOS too because I will use macOS like a normal pc connected to everything (monitor, keyboard...)

So I don't want to be having problems with macOS disconnecting things from the box because of incompatibility, I just need signal on macOS, not really an egpu working tbh, will be welcomed anyways having extra graphic power.

What you guys suggest me to pick? rx580 in theory with less problem to connect on both windows and macOS or 1070 which is faster and I'll have to make it work.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote