Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
eGPU enclosure connection to new Gigabyte Z390 Motherboards

eGPU enclosure connection to new Gigabyte Z390 Motherboards  

RSS

pawinda
(@pawinda)

I'm a complete novice to eGPU enclosure setups. I'm looking to upgrade to one (1) of two (2) new Gigabyte Z390 Motherboards. They both have Thunderbolt 3 and both cite graphics output  via DisplayPort and Thunderbolt from the Thunderbolt ports. They are the Z390 Aorus Xtreme and Z390 Designare.  The Designare, however, has the added capability of a 'DisplayPort In" port on the rear I/O panel.

I want to use the motherboard with an AKiTiO Thunderbolt 3 Node. Can I just run a Thunderbolt cable from either motherboard to the AKiTiO, or do I need the DisplayPort In on the Z390 Designare?

Thanks. Pawinda

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I'd recommend the Z390 Aorus Xtreme because it has a newer Thunderbolt 3 controller. Per this discussion, the on-board TB3 controller is Titan Ridge. You don't need to feed a video-in to the motherboard if you intend to use an AKiTiO Node for eGPU. Simply run the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the motherboard to the Node and it should be good to go.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
pawinda
(@pawinda)

Great. Thanks for the reply and insight.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote