eGPU enclosure connection to new Gigabyte Z390 Motherboards

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU enclosure connection to new Gigabyte Z390 Motherboards  

RSS

pawinda
(@pawinda)

I'm a complete novice to eGPU enclosure setups. I'm looking to upgrade to one (1) of two (2) new Gigabyte Z390 Motherboards. They both have Thunderbolt 3 and both cite graphics output  via DisplayPort and Thunderbolt from the Thunderbolt ports. They are the Z390 Aorus Xtreme and Z390 Designare.  The Designare, however, has the added capability of a 'DisplayPort In" port on the rear I/O panel.

I want to use the motherboard with an AKiTiO Thunderbolt 3 Node. Can I just run a Thunderbolt cable from either motherboard to the AKiTiO, or do I need the DisplayPort In on the Z390 Designare?

Thanks. Pawinda

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'd recommend the Z390 Aorus Xtreme because it has a newer Thunderbolt 3 controller. Per this discussion, the on-board TB3 controller is Titan Ridge. You don't need to feed a video-in to the motherboard if you intend to use an AKiTiO Node for eGPU. Simply run the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the motherboard to the Node and it should be good to go.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pawinda
(@pawinda)

Great. Thanks for the reply and insight.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote