Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
eGPU enclosure that is 'mobile' for a GTX 1080/2070/2080

eGPU enclosure that is 'mobile' for a GTX 1080/2070/2080  

RSS

arumiat
(@arumiat)

Hi there! 

I have a Dell XPS 13 which I know is a great ultrabook for pairing with eGPUs. I'd like to pair it with either a 1080GTX Ti or 2070/2080 GTX and am wondering what the slimmest / lightest recommendation would be? I have to travel a fair bit and would need to on occasion carry the eGPU with me (I appreciate I am unlikely to find a truly mobile solution!).

I saw the https://egpu.io/visiontek-mini-egfx-review-mobility-meets-utility/ but it doesn't support these Nvidia cards.

Hope to hear!

Hope to hear!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@arumiat The VisionTek Mini eGFX works with Nvidia cards just fine. Here's a build I did last week with a GTX 1060. There's another one I used a GTX 1660 Ti. The most powerful Nvidia GPU you can run with this enclosure is RTX 2070 ITX.

Regarding the most portable eGPU, it depends on what you prefer. Some like the all-in-one aspect of the Gigabyte/AORUS Gaming Box. It has a nicely padded travel case included. The VisionTek Mini eGFX has a smaller footprint but has a sizable power brick. The nice thing about eGPU with power delivery is that you can leave the laptop's power adapter at home.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
arumiat
(@arumiat)

Thank you @itsage that's great to know.

Some ques if I may:
1. I can't see the RTX2070 listed as being compatible on their website?

I currently have the 1070GTX in my laptop. I've always been a bit underwhelmed by it's performance (I use it for 3D sculpting in Zbrush, 3D painting in Substance Painter, handling large models in modelling apps and rendering too. I've always found mine to be a bit laggy and thus was looking to the xx80 series.

2. do you think the newer generation, even if it's xx70 series will improve my experience? Looking at a benchmark here it seems as though it's not 1080Ti level it is pretty close
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti/4029vs3918

I alsofound this video which looks like it is the Aorus that you are speaking of? I will do some more research on size / dimensions when comparing something like that, I guess the power brick for VisionTek takes it to a similar form factor weight as some other eGPUs.

Apologiesif very basic questions, - I am not a very technical user!

Thanks,

A

This post was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote