Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
eGPU for 2018 Macbook Pro to support 2x LG UltraFine 5k monitors

eGPU for 2018 Macbook Pro to support 2x LG UltraFine 5k monitors  

RSS

T0rin
(@t0rin)
May 21, 2019 4:55 am  

I've read a lot of information on the topic, a lot of which seems dated, and very rarely is the issue of dual monitors addressed.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the Vega 64 for compatibility, but I read a good deal about issues with going straight from the eGPU to the monitors on Macs, something about the OS not jiving with eGPUs outside of the Blackmagic line. I need to cut through the vaguery and figure out what eGPU setup would support outputting to 2 LG UltraFine 5k monitors with a 2018 Macbook Pro with touchbar.

2018 Macbook Pro, Dual LG UltraFine 5k monitors, pending choice for eGPU 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 21, 2019 12:28 pm  

If you already bought the LG UltraFine 5K displays, Apple had cornered you into the BlackMagic eGPU. You'd need one for each display.

The only possibility of running 2x UltraFine 5K displays is an eGPU with at least 4x DisplayPorts. WX 8200 or WX 9100 come to mind. You then need 2x Thunderbolt 3 add-in-cards and adapters to power these cards for Thunderbolt 3 monitor outputs. Here's a proof of concept.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@luis_arpasi)
Jun 12, 2019 7:57 pm  

Hi, 

Sorry I'm a kind of  new here but I'm planning to buy 2 of those too, so I was thinking if it would be possible to achieve this connection using:

1. Razer Core X eGPU
2. AMD 64 Vega with 4 Display Ports .
3. 2 x  Sonnet Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 to dual DP) to connect one to each monitor.
4. 4 x display port cables to connect from each adapter to the eGPU.
5. 1 x Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect eGpu to macbook pro 15" late 2018.

I would like to be sure before I decide to buy those monitors.

BTW do you know if 2 of this monitors will cause an overheating issue to MBP? even I use it with clamshell mode?

Thank you very much 🙂 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm  

@luis_arpasi There's currently no eGPU that can power two Thunderbolt 3 UltraFine 5K displays. The Sonnet TB3 to dual DisplayPort adapter is unidirectional. You cannot feed two DisplayPorts cables into that adapter to produce Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. I don't think there's a Vega 64 with 4x DisplayPort outputs. The two Vega cards that have 4 or more DisplayPorts are WX 8200 and WX 9100.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@luis_arpasi)
Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm  

Thank you very much!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member
Jun 12, 2019 11:19 pm  

The Sonnet adapters expose the DisplayPort output and Thunderbolt to DisplayPort output of a Thunderbolt controller (input can only come from the Thunderbolt USB-C connector). You need a device that exposes the DisplayPort inputs of a Thunderbolt controller. The only device matching that description is a Thunderbolt add-in card such as the GC-TITAN RIDGE or GC-ALPINE RIDGE.

The Black Magic eGPU is special because it connects the DisplayPort outputs of the GPU to the DisplayPort inputs of the Thunderbolt controller in the eGPU. Only one LG UltraFine 5K display can be supported because the LG UltraFine 5K uses the Thunderbolt output for one of the two DisplayPort signals which means additional Thunderbolt controllers can't be chained. MacOS and Windows don't support Thunderbolt controllers in host mode further down a Thunderbolt chain (i.e. a Thunderbolt add-in card in a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion box).

It takes two DisplayPort 1.2 outputs per LG UltraFine 5K display. If you don't have enough DisplayPorts, and you are running Windows, and you don't need 10 bit color, and you have a graphics card that supports DisplayPort 1.4, then it may be possible to get 5K 60 Hz 8 bpc from a single DisplayPort 1.4 port using a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub with at least two DisplayPort outputs. I've done this with a GTX 1070. I don't know if Windows AMD drivers will allow it. I don't know of any DisplayPort 1.4 MST hubs that aren't part of a Thunderbolt dock (I used the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2), so you would need a GC-TITAN RIDGE to convert a DisplayPort 1.4 input to Thunderbolt, then a GC-TITAN RIDGE or GC-ALPINE RIDGE to convert the two DisplayPort outputs of the DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub to Thunderbolt 3 for the LG UltraFine 5K display.

ReplyQuote
(@luis_arpasi)
Jun 13, 2019 7:06 pm  

@joevt thank you for the explication, more clear now 😯

ReplyQuote