(@janusz-nowak)

Hello,

I would like to connect
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB ROG STRIX
with power supply
EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000 Watt Titanium Modular
to
Asus ROG GL552VW (Windows 10)
and I want to use m.2. I do not know what adapter will be the best, and what else I have to do with a laptop to make it work. I learned about eGPU yesterday from youtube, so I have little knowledge.

Which adapter is the best?
ADT-Link R43SG
Beast EXP GDC (Version 9.x) M.2 M Key
PE4C V4.1 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

Thank you in advance for your help and best regards Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Soldered cable adapters are best (ADT-Link, PE4C) for link reliability and speed. Suggest use the US$13 x1 ADT-Link adapter to confirm compatibility, ie: eGPU is detected OK and then invest in pricier x4 adapters for more performance.

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2018/#m2-interface

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Janusz Nowak
(@janusz-nowak)

Thanks for the answer.

I asked Asus if my laptop supports M.2 key M NVMe PCIe3.0 x4 and they answered no, only M.2 2280, does it mean that I can forget about PCIe3.0 x4?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Emil Mihalcea
(@emil_mihalcea_1)

@janusz-nowak

Hy, I just installed an egpu on my GL552VW. I will write here how I turned my overheating and tired 5 year old ROG into a gaming beast.

Your M.2 SSD slot will not work with an egpu, because it is a SATA slot, not a PCI-E one. You will need to give up your wi-fi card and also your battery (because of the cable).

I bought from a buddy of mine a used GTX 1060 6GB OC, bought an EXP GDC BEAST with M.2 NGFF cable from the internet and bought a NJOY 600W power source from a local store (good a very good discount for it). I took a big leap of faith, not knowing if it will work or not, but it did.

Here is how I made it work: after the physical installation, I reinstalled the windows and all the drivers from the Windows Update. Do not bother with GeForce Experience, you will understand why in a bit. After the update completed, I restarted the laptop, but guess what? The dedicated GPU drivers from the 960M interfered with the 1060 ones, thus resulting in a code 43 error on both of them. Both Nvidia GeForce Experience and Nvidia Control Panel stopped working. Both video cards stopped working. 

Step 1: Device Manager > Display Adapters > Nvidia GeForce 960M > Disable Device.

Step 2: Device Manager > Display Adapters > Display Adapters > Nvidia GeForce 960M > Uninstall Device & check the box with remove drivers.

Step 3: Restart your laptop. You will notice after the restart that the egpu still has the code 43 error. For this one, use  the nvidia-error43-fixer batch file from this site (God bless the guy who made it, will donate some mullah soon to him).

Step 4: Restart the laptop after applying this fix.

Step 5: Connect an external monitor. Your laptop monitor will work now only with the Intel gpu. Use only the external monitor from settings. Also, when you start your laptop, the ASUS loading screen will be displayed on the laptop monitor, but when Windows loads, it will display on your external monitor (so don't worry about it).

If all goes well, you should have a working egpu on your GL552VW. Also, here are some tips for the GL552VW model:

1. They are famous for the CPU overheating. Buy an Opolar LC06 vacuum cooler and a cooling pad.

2. Install a m.2 ssd and a sata 3 ssd. I have the stock Samsung m.2 128GB and I replaced the 7200rpm HDD with a 1TB Samsung 860 QVO.

3. Upgrade your RAM to the max of 32gb. They use 2133mhz SODIMM.

4. Take into consideration bottlenecking. If you have an i7 cpu, go for a good video card like the 1060, 1070 or even 1080. If you have an i5, go for a lower model. 

As an example, I used to play State of Decay 2 before the egpu with a mix of medium and high settings and it sometimes lagged. Now I play it with ultra settings and works perfectly, no lag, no framedrop, nothing!

Hope it will help you guys and if you need any advice, message me. Have a great day!

ReplyQuote
R. Malumbres
(@r_malumbres)

@emil_mihalcea_1

Hi
I am thinking of taking it out on my asus gl 55vw computer and wanted to ask you a few things.

The first is if it is not possible if the egpu is Nvidia using the computer's own screen.

The second is if an egpu AMD could be connected and thus preserve the Gtx 960m drivers for the internal screen while the egpu uses an external.

Greetings and thanks.

ReplyQuote