Notifications

eGPU for Macbook Pro 2016  

RSS

(@samuelbaum)

Hi there.

I'm trying to find the best solution for my plan to upgrade my setup with an eGPU. I have read a lot of different opinions and facts on the matter, but I feel like this community would have the most specific answer.

I am working professionally on a Macbook Pro 2016 and would like to continue working on that or eventually make an upgrade to a newer Macbook. I am working as a Motion Designer, so I do everything from Video Editing to Animations, CGI, VFX, motion graphics and video mapping. The software I use most is Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects. I am looking for an eGPU to make both my workflow more efficient, as well as to shorten the render times and having the possibility of using a different render engine.

Coming from a gamer background I am familiar with Nvidia GPUs (on Windows), not so much with AMD though. Since I would like to be able to use render engines that are CUDA based, like Octane and Redshift, I am in need of an Nvidia GPU. I know, however, that Nvidia isn't supported and not compatible with MacOS anymore, and that I should rather have a look at the AMD GPUs like the Radeon VII.

Furthermore, I was looking into having the eGPU enclosed in the Razer Core X

So, to come back to my original question, what GPU would be suiting my needs the most? Should I go with AMD (Radeon VII, or even Pro WX9100) and hope Render Engines like Redshift and Octane will adapt in the near future, or should I go with Nvidia (RTX 2080 TI, or even Titan RTX) and maybe have to worry about getting the card to work... or would you recommend a completely different approach? 

Thank you very much for your help!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@samuelbaum It has come to a point where you’d either choose macOS or CUDA-based software. Since 10.14, no modern Nvidia cards work in macOS. You’d be waiting a long time hoping for Redshift and Octane to support AMD cards.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@samuelbaum)

@itsage thank you for the quick response!
Ok, I will have to rethink this project then ...

Just out of curiosity, in my situation with my current setup (were I to go with AMD), should I rather go for a GPU like the Radeon VII or RX Vega 64, or would it make sense to invest in a more expensive GPU like the Radeon Pro WX8200 or the Pro WX9100? I believe to understand, after comparing the two, that the Radeon VII is actually more powerful than the Pro WX9100? Which kind of doesn't seem to make sense to me, regarding the price difference ...

Thank you!

This post was modified 2 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@samuelbaumThe Radeon VII is the most powerful Radeon GPU in macOS atm. Pair it with either NetStor HL23T-Plus, Mantiz Venus, or Razer Core X Chroma.

The Radeon Pro cards have much longer warranty and supposedly better response time if you were to contact their pro support team.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote