EGPU + GC for my MacBook Pro mid2015

Notifications
Clear all

EGPU + GC for my MacBook Pro mid2015  

RSS

Philrules
(@philrules)

Hi to everyone!

I have decided to get a decent external graphics card for my Mac for a reason that it does not have any at all but an integrated one. As you can assume, running an external display is a nightmare when it comes to working even in photoshop for example...

I have just ordered Core X eGPU + XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc III, however I just read on the internet that XFX series are not recommended as external graphics for a Mac, could you please explain me why? I have researched a bit and came to conclusion that XFX RX series is the best price/ efficiency-wise also it's not that easy to find other models here in Germany, bloody miners bought everything almost lol 

Will this combination work? or should I consider other graphics from Radeon? today I have found a YouTube review on XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra working with MacBook Pro 2015 just fine probably this Graphics would be even better but I am not sure that it's worth it to pay 200 extra euro for its features.

Thanks in advance =)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
WayneHope
(@waynehope)

From Radeon I would recommend you AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 MacBook Pro.

A very good one.

https://writemyessay.onl

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@philrules, Many XFX graphics cards use vBIOS that are incompatible with macOS. The most obvious symptom is system crash when plugging the XFX eGPU in macOS. With that said, not all XFX cards have this issue. You can try out the one you found and see if it works. For a Thunderbolt 2 Mac such as mid 2015 MacBook Pro, you'd need Purge-Wrangler script to enable the eGPU feature in macOS.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote