Notifications
Clear all

eGPU, RTX 2070 SUPER and Razer Core X  

RSS

Lang
 Lang
(@lang)

Hi all

Im new on here and am glad i've found this site as its got some great info.

Im looking to get a Razer Core X enclosure and an NVIDEA RTX 2070 SUPER to run Octane/Redshift type rendering software. Ive since found out this morning that NVIDEA dont actually support RTX for Mac. Ive also found that to use the script hack that freak setup (brilliant) will only work if using High Sierra OS. Thats nots a problem for me if the script will work with the RTX card? So does anybody have experience of using this script and a NVIDEA RTX card? And if so did it work ok? Maybe theres a specific tutorial somewhere for this?

Also as im currently running Mojave on another 2019 iMac would an eGPU work (same parts, RTX card and Razer X) if I used boot camp? This would be my second choice if honest as it would mean working in Windows.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Lang

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@lang welcome aboard. Sadly, as far as I know, there have never been any macOS drivers that support RTX cards regardless of version as the drovers for macOS High Sierra were made before RTX cards so they are of no use.

Windows would be your only option. Head over to the builds section and filter by your iMac model and GPU to see if there are similar builds.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Lang
 Lang
(@lang)

Thanks Eightarmedpet 

So would using boot camp and windows be the best route? I will check out the builds section too.

Lang

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@lang

If you’re not in a hurry, Apple is (slowly 🙄) helping develop Octane and Redshift renderers optimized for AMD Vega II cards on Mac OS Catalina.

The AMD Radeon VII would work just as well in an eGPU setup. 

This post was modified 3 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
Lang
 Lang
(@lang)

Thanks Mini i5

Yeah have heard all about Apple and OTOY (Octane) trying to get something sorted but I know Apple are very slow and feel no urgency to deal with the multitude of creatives out there now switching to PC's because they've lost the plot, big time. Apple bring out an over priced over hyped Mac Pro and think that we'll all be happy just using Final Cut, but its absolutely rubbish at working with software that needs GPU power.

ReplyQuote