Notifications
Clear all

eGPU setup for use with Macbook Air (2020) + a standard PC  

of  3
  RSS

Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@alexander, yup, I could not find any info on this as well. 

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
insats
(@insats)

An update here:

I decided to start with getting the new MBA and see whether or not it performed well enough for me in graphics intensive tasks such as Photoshop and iMovie, which it does. Although I like my 12" Macbook more (the form factor, no fans and I prefer that keyboard), the new MBA is a nice machine. I also enjoy being able to keep having buttons instead of the touch bar which is one of many reasons I'd never go for the MBP.

Anyway - I'm thinking about returning the MBA in favour of getting a top-of-the-line Mini instead. The main reason being that the performance bump from the 12" MB to the new MBA isn't big enough for me to give up the things I like about the 12" MB. But with a cranked up Mini I could use as a main working machine AND gaming machine, maybe I'd be happier Smile

But with what people have been saying here regarding Bootcamp and the eGPU on Calatina, maybe that's just a bad idea? Maybe I should just do what I intended in my OP. Hmm, lots to consider here.

Update: After having used my new MBA for a few hours I've quickly realised that the "missing letters when typing" that I've been experiencing recently has most likely been due to the keyboard on my 12" MB rather than an early onset alzheimers 🙈So, I think it's gonna be a keeper.

This post was modified 6 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Alexander liked
ReplyQuote
t5n
 t5n
(@t5n)

After I ran on an MBA 2018 and 2019 with bootcamp for two years now, the MBA 2020 gives me no luck. I can not get it work like my old setup. More on this here:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/error-12-macbook-air-2020-razer-core-x-nvidia-gtx-1060-radeon-rx-5700/

MacBook Air 2020, 16gb RAM, 1,2 GHz (3,8GHz boost) Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 256gb storage
AMD Radeon RX 5700
Razer Core X Chroma
27" 1440p 144hz Screen via DisplayPort

Previously: MBA 2018, MBA 2019

Alexander liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3