eGPU shopping list for late 2013 Mac Pro trashcan

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU shopping list for late 2013 Mac Pro trashcan  

RSS

plingboot
(@plingboot)

I’m looking for advise on which enclosure and GPU I should go for.

I’m running a late 2013 Mac Pro with two displays, an apple Thunderbolt Display and an older 20”( ish) Apple dvi display with a dvi to thunderbolt (display port?) adaptor. 

I’m running the latest High Sierra OS.

I need something which is going to work (out of the box) without lots of tinkering - which will speed up rendering times (significantly) for GoPro Fusion Studio. Improving both Premiere Pro and After Effects rendering would also be desireable. 

My initial thoughs are either the Sonnet 350 or Akitio thunderbolt 3 boxes with an RX 580 card and TB3 - TB2 adaptor. 

Any suggestions much appreciated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Agris
(@agris)
Eminent Member

I think at this moment eGPU support for Adobe is questionable, I haven't yet seen anyone experiencing stable benefits for Adobe apps with eGPU. I vote for RX Vega 56 + Sonnet 550 instead of RX 580.  I'm also very interested in this, if someone can confirm RX Vega working in Adobe Apps (After Effects , Premiere, Media Encoder, Photoshop) it would be cool.

MBP 15' mid 2015

ReplyQuote
plingboot
(@plingboot)

Thanks, my biggest issue is rendering times with GoPro Fusion Studio I need to get rendering time down from hours… so that’s the main reason for making a purchase.

Any benefit to the Adobe CC apps would be nice bonus.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

Which GPUs do you have now?  I would ask the GoPro Fusion devs which card their app runs best on, then find out if it's multi GPU aware.  Didn't find anything concrete in a quick search.  Once you know which family of cards they prefer, check for an implementation guide here.  All down to budget after that.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote