Notifications
Clear all

Enclosure with Network - Big Sur & 6900XT - 2020 MacBook Pro 13"  

RSS

frankle
(@frankle)

Hello,

I used to have a Razer Core X Chroma but the built in networking had massive transfer issues ... slowing down to somewhere near a 100Mb transfer speed.

I ended up selling it, but now I'm getting the eGPU bug again as I have a 6900XT now in my possession!

The Mantiz Saturn Pro looks to be the best bet - A few USB's, SD card slot, 2.5" bay and networking - but I have read that it too suffers from slow networking? Was looking for a single cable solution ... doing video editing so would like to transfer from internal drive, external drives and SD cards to my backup NAS easily when I get home, as well as use the power of the 6900XT to drive dual displays and do some heavy lifting in Final Cut Pro.

What are others using for this scenario? Combination of a TB Dock and separate eGPU enclosure?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Retina 15” 2015, Catalina 10.15.1
Razer Core X Chroma, Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
khronokernel
(@khronokernel)

Posted by: @frankle

doing video editing so would like to transfer from internal drive, external drives and SD cards to my backup NAS easily when I get home

So unfortunately the vast majority (if not all?) Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs use USB Ethernet in their line to free up bandwidth to allow for a full x4 PCIe link for the GPU. What this means is that all devices plugged into the USB Controller internally share the 5Gbps bandwidth (10Gbps if 3.1). 

Scenarios like this was actually why I started to research dedicated PCIe NICs in Thunderbolt docks here:

Unfortunately both the Razer and Mantiz dock you listed use a USB NIC, namely the Asix AX88179 for former, Realtek RTL8153 for latter.

Perhaps there is an eGPU with a PCIe NIC? Hopefully someone else can comment

MacBookPro18,3 - 8c/14c/16GB/512GB

ReplyQuote