Enclosures that support thunderbolt 3, can I connect them to my thunderbolt 1 port? (Macbook pro mid 2012)  

RSS

lallo
(@lallo)
May 25, 2018 11:45 am  

I really like my old Macbook pro 2012 15". However, the discrete GPU is weak and I would love to play some games on it and still have a somewhat portable device. I actually tried to buy a PC but it was too big, even a small case and I couldn't move it between cities where I live in an easy way.

Now I see that most enclosures are pretty expensive. So I found a used Razer Core V1 for 150euro.

Does this support thunderbolt 1? I know it says thunderbolt 3 but I was hoping that there might be a way to get a cheap enclosure anyway.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 25, 2018 8:55 pm  

Are you planning on using eGPU in macOS or Windows to game? The Razer Core V1 for €150 is a nice deal. You will need the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter and a Thunderbolt cable in order to connect the Core to your 2012 15" MacBook Pro.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
lallo
(@lallo)
May 25, 2018 9:20 pm  

Windows! Since most games run so much better on windows than on osx.

So it IS compatible? Where can I get one of these adapters and cable? 

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
May 27, 2018 2:00 am  

In any Apple store , online or offline. The adapter is MMEL2AM/A, the cable is MD861LL/A. It's @!#$%&*( expensive. Finding a used Sonnet Echo Express Pro on eBay is not hard and will be definitely cheaper than a TB3 enclosure + adapter. Review eGPU-wise  https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-graphics-thunderbolt,3263-7.html here. 

ReplyQuote
lallo
(@lallo)
May 27, 2018 7:30 am  

Thank you for your response!

I see that together , the adapter and cable will be about 100 euro where I live. Also, where I live it's pretty har to get your hands on used egpu enclosures. And Ebay shipping from the US is not really an option because of shipping fee and taxes.

ReplyQuote
lallo
(@lallo)
May 27, 2018 7:44 am  

However I'm going to Japan in just a week and maybe I could pick up something there for a cheaper price.

Sonnet Echo Express is it better than Akitio 2 that everyone is using for the 2012 macbook pro?

ReplyQuote