Enclosure+Video card for MacBook air mid 2012 for 300USD

Notifications
Clear all

Enclosure+Video card for MacBook air mid 2012 for 300USD  

RSS

andreim
(@andreim)

Hello, guys, i need your support!
What it the best Enclosure+Video card for Macbook air mid 2012, iOS 10.14.1?
Maximum price for Enclosure fr me is 200USD (used or new)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Estimable Member

Try getting a used Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580.  Not sure what the second-hand market is for those right now, but they go for $400 new.  You'll also be paying at least another $60 USD for TB3->TB2/1 cables.  You may be able to pull something off around $300 depending if you can find a good deal on the eGPU.  Happy searching!

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
andreim
(@andreim)

Posted by: omardesu

Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580

Its too expensive.
300USD - is the maximum price with adapters.
I'm thinking about AKiTiO Thunder2 +nvidia 1050 ti, but i have no confirmation in build's guide, that it work with macOS 10.14

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

There are no Nvidia drivers for 10.14 so you are best off going with AMD. 
What do you plan on using it for?
A Node lite and a 560 would be a nice combo, maybe try and find one or both second hand to reduce cost and free up money for an adapter. 
Anything more powerful and you’ll need to upgrade the psu. 
I think someone mentioned PowerColor or whatever they are called having their enclosure on sale for 200 bucks which will give you more upgrade options in the future over the Node lite.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
andreim
(@andreim)

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

What do you plan on using it for?

Games like CS:GO on my external 24'FHD monitor
 Maybe AKiTiO Thunder2  +RADEON will be the the best choice for me? TB3toTB2 adapter needs additional cost.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Yes, I'd say that is a good choice, although if you ever end up with a TB3 laptop you'd have to buy it all again...
Hopefully that guy in NY still has that Thunder 2 as that would be perfect and a good deal... then find a cheap 560 and bobs yer uncle.
I love mini egpu Akitio set ups, you've got me into thinking about building a new one myself... again...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Hey just wanted to chime in with my experience. I've been messing with a Thunder2 +RX 460/560 eGPU on a 2012 Macbook Pro. Everything works great in macOS (after applying one of the solutions from this forum to get around the Thunderbolt 1 block), but in windows I haven't gotten around error 12 and I believe the solutions for doing so would be very involved. Basically, just know if you go with the Thunder2 I wouldn't expect it to work in windows.

Also, if you get one of the cheap HP RX 460 from ebay (see deals section) it should work with the included 60W power adapter.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
andreim
(@andreim)

I'm not use windows, mac os only.
What card from AMD is equvivalent on Nvidia 1050, 1050Ti?

ReplyQuote