External GPU solution for 3D rendering, with RTX 3090ti

Notifications
Clear all

External GPU solution for 3D rendering, with RTX 3090ti  

RSS

Didiridou
(@didiridou)

Hello everyone!

I would like to connect an RTX 3090ti to my windows 7 laptop, with the intention of GPU 3D rendering (not gaming, so I'm not worried about fps).
Is it possible, and what do I need in order to achieve that? (I'm willing to update my OS if that makes things harder)

Unfortunately my laptop does not have a Thunderbolt port, only USB 3.0, as well as an eSATA port.
I was thinking maybe there is something that connects via ethernet? (I imagine it would be possible since render engines offer network rendering, but is it true?)

Also I am already aware of the Mini PCIe solution (adaptor that connects straight to the motherboard of the laptop), but I was wondering if there is a less intrusive approach.
If not, which Mini PCIe would you suggest that would work with 3090 ti?

Also just to confirm that I understand correctly, would I need to use an external screen, or would everything work normally on my laptop screen?

Thank you very much in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@cleiton_leal)

Hi Didiridou,

I have razer core x and it come with a PSU of 650 watts, and I am running a RTX 3070ti. I saw a review in the youtube of a guy running a RTX3080 in a razer x chroma the gives 700 watts, but I don’t think you will be able to run an RTX 3090, I believe the recommendation for this GPU is at least 850 watts, I am not sure a if there is an enclosure that could supply 850 watts currently. Also, all these GPU’s require a thunderbolt 3 connection from both sides. Sorry to say, but I believe you will need a new laptop to do what you want to do.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2022 XPS13 Plus (9320) I7-1270 32Gb + Razer Core X with RTX 3070 TI Vision OC 8Gb (Using only for modeling and rendering/ no games)

ReplyQuote
Didiridou
(@didiridou)

Thank you very much for your reply cleiton leal. Would the above apply also for a 2080 TI?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@cleiton_leal)

@didiridou

the 2080 is suitable for a EGPU of 650 watts, but even so, you will still need a thunderbolt 3 to establish a connection between your laptop and the EGPU. I am not aware of the possibility of any downgrade interface that would make possible this connection… but maybe there is, I believe you still can get more advice in this forum about your situation. 

2022 XPS13 Plus (9320) I7-1270 32Gb + Razer Core X with RTX 3070 TI Vision OC 8Gb (Using only for modeling and rendering/ no games)

ReplyQuote
MINDTHREAT
(@mindthreat)

Posted by: @didiridou

Thank you very much for your reply cleiton leal. Would the above apply also for a 2080 TI?

I use a 2080 Ti in my Razer Core X and it works great! but as mentioned above, you'll need a laptop that has TB3 regardless.

SpaceTimeContinuumThreadripper 2950X - ASROCK x399m Taichi - 32GB G.Skill - (1) RTX 3080 - (2) RTX 2080 Ti eGPU Razer Core X - 2TB NVMe RAID0 - GB-Titan Ridge TB3

ReplyQuote
Didiridou
(@didiridou)

Thank you both very much for your replies!

I think I'd like to explore a little more the possibility of a GPU dock with mini PCIe connectivity, and a 2080 ti. So wattage wise, in this case I'd have the flexibility to chose an external power supply that would be adequate for this card.

The issue that I've been concerned about the most in this approach is the bottlenecking. However, I'm starting to understand that it's not super important with 3D rendering, since the bottlenecking affects mostly the initial loading of the 3D scene onto the GPU, and not the 3D rendering process itself.

Do any of you guys have experience with such devices? Like an ADT-Link R43SG ?

Have you had any success or problems with them?

--

I also want to ask if it's possible to access any the GPU enclosures that are available on the market via a netwrok lan?

I see for example that the Mantiz MZ-03 Saturn Pro II EGPU has an ethernet port, does that mean that I can access the egpu via network, or that I just get an ethernet connection for my laptop in case I don't already have one?

ReplyQuote
(@cleiton_leal)

@didiridou

I read some forums and seems it is unlikely to work. You can check the link below where there another guy discussing about the same topic.

https://super-unix.com/superuser/is-it-possible-to-connect-an-external-gpu-via-ethernet/

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@didiridou, please consider reviewing the site builds and buyer guide. There you will find hundreds of eGPU examples using mini PCIe interfaces and candidate eGPU adapters to use.

Before you begin suggest you review which style of PCIe connector packaging is available on your laptop (eg: mini PCIe, M.2, expresscard, Thunderbolt) to attach to. Ethernet does not transmit PCIe signals so cannot be used to attach an eGPU.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Didiridou
(@didiridou)

Thank you both so much for the resources guys, they are super helpful!

ReplyQuote