Few questions for mid-2014 MacBook air eGPU setup

Notifications
Clear all

Few questions for mid-2014 MacBook air eGPU setup  

RSS

libero.ego
(@libero-ego)

Dear all, 

I just recently stumbled into this eGPU idea, and i am considering giving it a shot. So i am interested in anybody having experience with similar setup, on the specific model i have (MacBook air 6,2 maxed out with 8 GB ram and i7 intel processor). If you have this computer, with any eGPU setup, can you post some benchmark tests? This to have a general idea on what to expect. 

Now, some questions: my computer has a built in Thunderbolt 1 port. However, since i might change computer in one or two years, i was considering going for a Thunder 3 enclosure (also given that the price difference is ~50$), so i will gain performance if i decide to change computer. Anybody experienced trouble with the Thunder3 to Thunder1 adaptor? 

Second question: i thought about the gtx 1050 Ti video card. However, there are also more powerful options out there, now my question would be how much do you gain by putting more graphics power? In other words how limiting is the bandwidth and is it worth to invest in better cards for performance boost?

Finally, if you have any other input, comments or most importantly if you have experience to share, i would be extremely interested! 

Thanks for the time, and i hope i posted in the correct topic, as i am often confused about that...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/

I have a feeling a 1050ti would be the best choice for you given TB1... there are a couple of Thunder2's for sale in the For sale section I believe...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote