GPU advise for MacBook Pro 2018 13inch 8gb RAM  

RSS

eddybear
(@eddybear)
November 19, 2018 3:26 am  

Hi All,

Good day to all!

I am here asking advise regarding my  current MacBook 13inch. I'm planning to buy an eGPU to help me speed up with my FCPX editing. (4k videos with few h.265 files).
Just sold my gaming rig and now sticking to MBP.
So currently, I own MBP 13inch 2018 core i5 8th-gen quadcore 2.3Ghz 8gb core ram touch model. I just got my hands on a Razer Core X. with the model I have, I am choosing between Vega 64, 56, and rx590. I am leaning towards vega64 but I am afraid that it might bottleneck my system? will I benefit more with the 64 than 56 or almost the same performance since have a bit weaker  CPU.

Thanks in advance!
Eddy

BTW, I spent more than an hour browsing the forum for answers. but no luck.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
November 19, 2018 7:50 am  

The answers are out there, but they take a while to find (not sure I could dig them out now).

Once you get past 1060/580 level cards returns are diminished due to TB3 limitations, for you, like myself, CPU bottleneck will be factor to consider too (although you less so due to having 2018 quad core).
Personally I would not even bother looking at a 590 as they are quite expensive compared to the 580's with only marginal gains.

Browse some build guides with Vega 64's and see if the performance people get is executable for you, also cross reference normal desktop stats.

Personally, I chose a Vega 56 as I have a 2017 dual core, but your Quad core is more powerful less of a bottleneck.

Heres a good thread with a similar set up...  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-macbook-pro-13-quad-core-i7-touch-bar-mantiz-venus-extreme-mod-with-sapphire-nitro-rx-vega-64-macos-high-sierra-mojave/

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
eddybear
(@eddybear)
November 19, 2018 3:38 pm  

Thanks for the link man! yeah. a lot of thing to read and some topics are so deeply hidden. 
Question, any chance you have edited 4k HEVC files on final cut pro?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
Eminent Member
November 19, 2018 4:03 pm  
Posted by: eddybear

Thanks for the link man! yeah. a lot of thing to read and some topics are so deeply hidden. 
Question, any chance you have edited 4k HEVC files on final cut pro?

Your MBP has a T2 chip I suppose. Is FCP not compatible with the T2 HEVC coding acceleration? Would an eGPU add anything?

Mac Mini 2012 i7, Mac book Pro 2016 15" with TB, eGPU Galax/KFA2

ReplyQuote
(@hari_prakash)
December 5, 2018 12:02 pm  

HI eddybear, I'm also looking for buying MBP 2018 base model with 16GB ram. Would like to check with you the experience of editing 2.7k/4k video for casual purposes. DO you need to transcode or create proxies for butter smooth editing or is it just fine?

Thanks,

Hari

ReplyQuote