GPU - AMD or NVidia for Mid 2015 Macbook Pro - Lightroom / Photoshop CC 2018 and Final Cut Pro FCP X  

RSS

ashuk
(@ashuk)
September 21, 2018 10:34 pm  

Hi Guys,

I searched for the answer to my question but didn't find anything definitive.

I've got a MacBook Pro Mid 2015 and I'm getting a Sonnet breakout box 550W for it. I mainly want to use Lightroom / Photoshop CC2018 and Final cut Pro. I've seen lots of debates about AMD Vs NVidia cards and OpenGL / CUDA support, but nothing that considers the latest AMD Vega 64 Cards pitched against the NVidia GTX 1080 for eGPU support for a Mac. 

Has anyone got this setup? What are your experiences?

Thanks
Ash.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ashuk
(@ashuk)
September 22, 2018 1:15 pm  

So, after not knowing much and lots of reading till 4am, I'm coming to the following conclusions:

- For Apple apps, such as FCP an AMD cares are considered better.
- For Adobe CC 2018 suite NVidia might be better, but I keep hearing that Apple optimises AMD OpenCL drivers better
- Mac Mojave eGPU will not have support for NVidia cards and any hacks potentially won't be out for a while for the new NVidia supported drivers.

Therefore, I'm concluding a Vega 64 card will be best for me for now and to revisit the situation in 6 months time. 
Please feel free to let me know where I a right and possibly wrong? Thanks.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ashuk
(@ashuk)
September 22, 2018 10:11 pm  

Is this request in the right section?

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member
October 6, 2018 10:40 pm  

I have a an rx580 with a mbp 13 2015 and it works fine with fcp x 10.4.3 and lighroom photoshop. However i am not a heavy user. i have run a few benchmarks which i have posted in a couple of posts i have made in the forum. check my tag. I would try to see if there is any meningful increase in performance from rx580 to vega 64 as i suspect that the 2015 mbp would be a bottleneck and you might not get the max out of the card. 9to5 mac and apple insider / max yurev have run a few benchmarks comparing the vega 64, check it out.

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member
October 6, 2018 10:40 pm  

@ashuk
I have a an rx580 with a mbp 13 2015 and it works fine with fcp x 10.4.3 and lighroom photoshop. However i am not a heavy user. i have run a few benchmarks which i have posted in a couple of posts i have made in the forum. check my tag. I would try to see if there is any meningful increase in performance from rx580 to vega 64 as i suspect that the 2015 mbp would be a bottleneck and you might not get the max out of the card. 9to5 mac and apple insider / max yurev have run a few benchmarks comparing the vega 64, check it out.

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
ashuk
(@ashuk)
October 7, 2018 4:58 pm  

Thanks for the update. The VEGA 64 seems to work ok, but nothing as fast as I would have hoped. Will need to do some benchmarks some time.

ReplyQuote
vegan
(@vegan)
October 9, 2018 7:15 pm  

I have a following build (13'' MacBook Pro 2015 + Vega 64). FCP X runs like a beast. Lightroom, not so much as it's extremely CPU-heavy. I chose AMD over Nvidia because of how easy it is to set it up + I don't have to wait for Nvidia to release updates before updating macOS.

My build: early-2015 13'' MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Razer Core X via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.14&Win10

ReplyQuote