GPU Decisions - AMD 6700XT or nVidia 3060ti

Notifications
Clear all

GPU Decisions - AMD 6700XT or nVidia 3060ti  

RSS

yurgon
(@yurgon)

Hi All, 

With the prices starting to settle on GPU's, I'm impatiently researching available GPU options. Currently I have a GTX 1070 as my daily driver and an RX5500XT spare.

At present, I'm tossing up between the 6700xt and 3060ti (I've always preferred team red, away back from the 8500 LE days)

The main concern is performance, but this is closely followed by ease of setup. I've noticed the AMD cards seem to be more finicky with resource allocation than their nVidia counterparts. Here in AU, the 6700XT is priced equivalent to the 3060, with the 3060ti priced 10-15% higher. 

My PC is an Asus Tuf Dash F15 (4c/8t 11370H, 16GB, RTX3060 mobile) and I mostly play, Borderlands 3, Witcher, Dragon Age, DOTA and when released, Baldur's Gate III. I usually tweak graphics settings to provide fps in the range of 120-144.

I've been contemplating a monitor upgrade from FHD to QHD as I feel either of these cards should handle the resolution with decent frames for gaming, and either will perform well enough in my work applications (QGIS, ArcGIS, CAD).

Has anyone had experience comparing these cards in an eGPU environment? I've read through multiple reviews of both and I'm having trouble deciding. 

System: Asus Tuf Dash F15, i7 11370h,16GB, RTX3060 dGPU
eGPU1: Aorus Gaming Box, GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8G
eGPU2: Mantiz Saturn Pro v2, RX5500 XT 4GB

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro V2) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@yurgon, I would get neither and wait for the market to settle down. They won't provide a significant improvement over your dGPU to justify the cost. Unless you're using a Mac, there's little benefits over Nvidia offerings. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

yurgon liked
ReplyQuote
yurgon
(@yurgon)

@itsage, I don't plan on getting one right away, just trying to work out what options are suitable so if the opportunity presents itself I can jump on it...although I can be quite impatient haha.  

I dont use the dGPU much unless I'm away from home, so this would be mainly to boost performance while at home and keep the laptop cooler. In saying that, the 1070 easily runs anything at 1080p on my monitor. I'd like to go to 2K to make working from home a more productive, but not sure the how the 1070 would go with that. I need to find somewhere, or someone with a 27" 2k monitor first - to see how text looks at 100% scaling with the distance I sit from my monitor, I think PPI over ~100 may be too tiny for my eyes

Ideally, I'd want the MSI Aero ITX 3060 ti. It should fit in the Aorus gaming box, making for a great little portable eGPU...but alas they're a unicorn GPU

System: Asus Tuf Dash F15, i7 11370h,16GB, RTX3060 dGPU
eGPU1: Aorus Gaming Box, GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8G
eGPU2: Mantiz Saturn Pro v2, RX5500 XT 4GB

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro V2) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@yurgon, I hear you on using eGPU exclusively while at home. It makes for a great docking solution and keeps the laptop running nice and quiet. If that is the case, definitely go with Nvidia. I just came back from a local Best Buy and managed to get a RTX 3070 Ti FE at MSRP. I was hoping for RTX 3080 Ti but going empty handed would be silly.

This was the line wrapped around the Best Buy building. The people in front of line started camping yesterday morning. There were over 200 people in line for supposedly 193 graphics cards. However, 50x RTX 3090 cards went missing so many people ended up camping for nothing. I arrived at 4am and was 141 in line so I barely made the cut.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote