GPU Decisions - AMD 6700XT or nVidia 3060ti

Notifications
Clear all

GPU Decisions - AMD 6700XT or nVidia 3060ti  

of  2
  RSS

yurgon
(@yurgon)

@itsage, yeah I decided against the 6600xt. I've sold my Gigabyte Gaming box an decided to keep the Mantiz Saturn Pro - mid-range ITX cards are becoming difficult to find, without the added strain of supply/demand with current gen GPUs.

I've purchased a Gigabyte M27Q monitor at an excellent price, so the urge to upgrade is stronger to take advantage of 1440p.

I don't plan on using RT, aside from a peak at it because I can - it's still early days for RT. DLSS is a nice-to-have, but not a must-have as majority of the games I play don't support it.

From what I've read, it seems the 6700xt is ever-so-slightly more powerful than the 3060ti and I've also read that it tends to perform better with lower end CPU's (possibly like my 11370h) - although I haven't been able to find much data on this...yet.

I've read most of the build guides here on the 3060ti and 6700xt, and it's hard to draw a direct comparison between them. In the past AMD drivers and windows updates have forwarded challenges for TB3/4 eGPU usage, which is a potential concern.

As you've reviewed and tested both manufacturers in a variety of scenarios, I wanted to get your thoughts on AMD vs nVidia in an eGPU environment. More specifically I'm looking at pure performance (no DLSS or RT) and reliability with current drivers. I have seen a few reports of driver issues this year with AMD eGPU's and I'm unsure if those problems have been addressed. I'm currently using an old r9 290 in my setup and it seems to perform fine, however I'm using older drivers for this. 

At this stage I'm leaning toward the 3060ti as nvidia have been easier from past experience, but complacency is not certainty. I'm also unsure if the additional 4gb vram would be beneficial for eGPU performance.

Any guidance or opinions would be very much appreciated.

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win11 22000 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
yurgon
(@yurgon)

By a stroke of luck I managed to get a Gigabyte Eagle 3060ti for as close to MSRP as I've seen in Aus (860AUD). I can't complain with that - now impatiently waiting for it to arrive.

A new build guide is in the works using my Asus Tuf Dash F15, HP Elitebook x360 1030 G4 and the 3060ti in the Mantiz Saturn Pro 2.

If anyone has any benchmark requests or suggestions, I'm all ears

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win11 22000 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2