GPU recommendation for Dell Precision M4800

Notifications
Clear all

GPU recommendation for Dell Precision M4800  

RSS

Patryk93
(@patryk93)

Hi,

I'm building an eGPU setup for my Dell Precision M4800.

Laptop specs are:

CPU: i7-4810MQ @ 2.8Ghz

RAM: 32GB

SSD: 256GB

HDD: 1TB coming soon

dGPU : Nvidia Quadro K1100M

eGPU setup:

GDC Beast 8.5c via Expresscard (I believe it's a 2.0 since the PCI slots are 2.0 on the m4800)

Will power it with the dell DA2

I already got bot the GDC Beast and the Dell DA2 PSU and I'm planning to run it all with an external monitor.

Could someone please recommend a decent GPU that will work well with this setup that won't be overkill for the CPU and the GDC Beast over EC? 

My only goal here with this setup is to be able to play COD Warzone with some friends even on medium settings. Will something like a GTX 1060 6GB suffice? 

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Patryk93
(@patryk93)

Hi,

So I've hooked everything up and it was actually surprisingly easy to get it to work.

Right now I'm using a GPU that was gifted to me, it's a Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB. It manages to run Warzone at 30FPS at absolute minimum settings, not very enjoyable gameplay.

I also tested my mate's Radeon R9 380 4GB and that improves Warzone performance at min settings to about 60fps.

However, his desktop PC with the R9 380 and i5-4690k 3.5Ghz 16gb ram manages to run Warzone (at min settings) at 120fps.

Would that suggest that the Expresscard connection already bottlenecks the setup with the R9 380 ? Or is it not as simple as that? 

Would there be any point in me investing in a GTX 1060 or a RX 580 ?

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote