GTX 1060 or 1070 for a Thunderbolt 1 port? (MacBook pro Mid 2012 15") OSX and WI...

Notifications
Clear all

GTX 1060 or 1070 for a Thunderbolt 1 port? (MacBook pro Mid 2012 15") OSX and WIN 10  

RSS

lallo
(@lallo)

I'm looking to upgrade my macbook pro with an external GPU since buying a new macbook pro today is just at a crazy price and still, the discrete graphics are not that good.

Specs: (Macbook pro 15" 2012)
Intel core 2.3 ghz i7
256 SSD
16 GB RAM
650 GT discrete graphics
Thunderbolt 1

27" Inch external monitor 1440p
-Running OSX and Win 10 for games!

So The bottleneck here will probably be either the Thunderbolt 1 port or my CPU? However I feel like my CPU is quite powerful and hope the it still can hold up to modern games since modern games also mostly draw power from the GPU.

Question 1: Should I go with a Thunderbolt 3 + Tb3/tb1,2 adapter or get a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure? 
Maybe just go with whatever is cheaper? However I feel like a TB3 enclosure might be more future proof if I ever upgrade the laptop.

Question 2: A heard that it's better to aim at graphics card that are in the middle to get the most of price/performance.

However I wonder, will the TB1 port bottleneck a GTX 1070 so much that it is not worth over the 1060gtx or does anyone have benchmarks on this?

Any advice is appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

1.  I'd go with a TB3 enclosure.

2.  Very satisfied with the 1070 I initially bought and wouldn't go any lower.

My limited experience is that a 2011 / 2012 Mac Mini with TB1 and a 1070 satisfies my modest gaming requirements in MacOS (World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, Planescape).

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
lallo
(@lallo)

So I guess you are using an adapter then? Which enclosure are you using? 

I posted this same question on reddit whee ssomeone claims Nvidia cards are not "very compatible" with MacBooks and he recommends a AMD card if I wanna do Bootcamp (are you using osx or bootcamp?).

I'm not really sure about his claim though since most users on this forums used an Nvidia card with their Mac and my MacBook already has a discrete Nvidia card so why wouldn't a egpu Nvidia not work?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote