Have eGPU Aorus Nvidia 1070 GTX gaming box and which laptop?  

RSS

rmsmith
(@rmsmith)
February 11, 2018 4:24 pm  

Hi, I am coming at this from a different angle in that I already have the eGPU, which is the Aorus Nvidia 1070 GTX gaming box and I am looking for a new laptop that will maximise the chances of it working. The other oddity is that I am not looking for gaming performance, I do lots of CUDA work with audio/images using keras/tensorflow and was looking for a powerful yet portable laptop to match.

The laptop I had before was a Asus Zenbook3 Deluxe, which had full 40GBPS TB3, I got this working fine in Windows 10 and then also tested in Ubuntu 17.04, the later being rather unstable! I got ubuntu working to train models but it had issues when being unplugged and the OS would often need to be restarted. I am thinking that maybe using macOS High Sierra would work better. Now I am looking for a new laptop, I have come up with a short-list of models and I would like to know if a) people are using the gaming box along with it b) OS is stable and is okay being unplugged c) CUDA or other graphics rendering programs run okay.

1) 15‑inch MacBook Pro - Touch Bar and Touch ID

• 2.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • 16GB
  • Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB memory
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

2) Thinkpad X1 Carbon - 6th gen

• Intel Core i7-8650U Processor
  • 16GB
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • 2 TB3

3) Other?

In general is mac better supported for eGPU than windows?

Thanks R

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
zharrief
(@zharrief)
February 11, 2018 11:57 pm  

2017 MBP 15 w/ Radeon 555 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 worked for me flawlessly in Win10 via bootcamp. No hacks, just had to install drivers from Nvidia like normal. I also got it working in MacOS but I don't think it's stable enough for GPU work. I posted about it here.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
rmsmith
(@rmsmith)
May 20, 2018 12:47 pm  

To follow up on this. I bought a Lenovo Windows 10 T480S to go with my Aorus Nvidia 1070 GTX. I am successfully using it to train Deep Learning models using CUDA. It's sped up my training of Speech models many times!

Regards,
Rob

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote