How good does it work? What works exactly?
i got a couple of questions and i would appreciate it if you can help me.
First let me give you quick an overview of my current situation.
Actually i am using 2 devices. A Macbook pro 15" wich is my daily driver for business and private stuff ( except gaming ).
The second device is a Windows Desktop wich is basically my gaming device. I am playing mostly FPS Games.
What would i like to have?
I would like to get just one device for everything. The idea having just one small / light weight Notebook for everything ( My favourites are -> Razer Stealth and Macbook Pro 13 ) and just one cable to plugin to get a "Desktop replacement" is wonderful.
My preference would be a Macbook Pro 13 since i can install Bootcamp / Windows 10 there and switch between both os. So i am more flexible.
But i have my doubts due the Hardware and OS.
But keep in mind please, i prefer a working system over a not working one :-).
How good does it work? What works?
- I have read that the stealth 2019 got the much better cooling due some "big" fans inside the stealth and the positioning.
Wich means in theory for longer gaming sessions with games like PUBG could it helpful that the Notebook has a better cooling.
Does anyone have here some experiences? Is the Razer stealth better for gaming with an egpu?
- Is a Ultrabook / egpu combination reliable? Reliable in terms of stability? I have read quite a lot that display turns of, that the gfx is not detected etc etc.
Is it aswell a matter of the OS you use? OSX vs Windows 10 for example?
What can you recommend me?
- I have seen mostly short thunderbolt cables plugged in beetween notebook + egpu.
Can a longer cable between egpu and notebook effect the performance? For example 1m.
- How significant is the CPU difference / performance between the 8565U and 8559U?
I have read a couple of Test and Pages like https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8565U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8559U/m591977vsm543591
But i would like to get some real gaming results / experiences.
- Have someone experienced some lagging / latency issues in FPS Games due Thunderbold limits?
I am not talking about the ping / packet loss etc. I have read that the thunderbold connection got i limits and since its not directed plugin there might be latency issues.
- Could a Razer Stealth / macbook pro 13 in combination with a 2080 or 2080ti enough for 1440 Gaming? Some have here some fps benchmarks. I always prefer having low setting and high fps.
Thanks in advance!
When I rad your thread title I thought it was going to be another "het guys will this work thanks" with no context or details but this is a cracking post.
I can't help with all the questions but I can give you an answer to what is essentially your base question.
A MacBook Pro 13inch with an eGPU will give you a solid gaming experience at 1440. Source: Me, playing PUBG for hours, at 60fps, with my 2017 MBP and Vega 56 and the double bottleneck/performance hit of a non directly connected TB3 monitor.
In more detail..
- Mine runs fine, how long it lasts only time will tell (will I cook my laptop?).
- Varies dep on set up, I have very very few issues, in the year or two I have used an eGPU I have had prob only a dozen or so game crashes due to them. Yes, about a dozen, I had more troubles when I used an actual PC!
- I use a 2M cable and have no issues. Tests were done somewhere on here and the difference was around 1-2 fps at most.
- No idea I'm afraid, I run a dual core which is way less powerful, so my findings are worst case - your set up will perform far better.
- Over my head im afraid.
- From what I have read 2080ti is overkill due to bottlenecking with TB3 and Laptop CPUs, sure it performs better than a 2080- but not by much. 2070/2080 is the sweet spot.
Hope that helps! I have some benchmarks in my build guides that might be of interest...
(I am sure you are aware - but there is no RTX support in macOS so you'll only be able to use it in Bootcamp, which is also what I did for years).
OH, and once you get it all working, eGPU.io PUBG Team? 😉
OH BOY, that's a long post, and you know what? It prob helps me more than it helps you.. I kept meaning to find the best settings for PUBG and never actually got round to it and now it looks like, bam, you've posted them for me. Reminds me of my old DayZ days where I spent hours and hours tweaking every little setting to try and get double digit FPS on my MacBook Pro 2013 pre eGPU days.
Settings wise, I have a mix of everything, not sure if its great performance wise but I aim for 60fps while looking good. My monitor is only 60hz so no real point dropping settings to go over (I think?).
I haven't noticed any throttling, but thats not to say its not happening...
I'll try and get the benchmark done over the weekend. Couple of caveats...
I'll be running at 1440 and I have a double performance loss of not being able to connect my monitor directly to my egpu (due to it being TB3 only).
My monitor may be failing too, so might be in the market for a new one, if you have any suggestions for 4K 144HZ I'm all ears...
Oh and same name on steam!
@willhaben will alles haben
I’m listening to your national band right now - ramstien. I may have changed my steam to chrisbmx116