I have a Dell G5 5587 and need some help

Notifications
Clear all

I have a Dell G5 5587 and need some help  

RSS

Joe Richardson
(@joe_richardson)

So, heres the thing.

I am in the process of upgrading my main desktop GPU to a 3080 and originally had planned to sell the current RTX 2070 Super however I have decided that I would like to use it in a eGPU for my Dell G5 5587 "gaming" laptop. I find that the 1060 max-q that it currently has inside isn't sufficient for certain games I enjoy playing on my desktop, also more of the fact that during longer gaming sessions my laptop begins to thermal throttle (even after repasting the CPU and GPU). My main reasons would be to reduce the thermal load on the laptop in order to not see FPS drops during gaming sessions. I have already tried things like ThrottleStop and it doesn't really have much of a benefit.

Instead of selling the laptop and graphics card I would prefer to get a good eGPU, however the only issue is I don't really want to have to plug it into an external monitor to play games. I don't care much for the loss in performance via routing the signal back to the laptop display as I imagine the performance difference wouldn't be that big of a deal due to the 2070 Super being quite powerful. 

To sum up, I want to know the best (affordable) eGPU that would work with my Dell G5 5587 and do what I want it to do. There are so many different eGPU enclosures that I have absolutely no idea which one to pick.

The specific RTX 2070 Super is the EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming

I have noticed tha the Razer Core X is compatible however unsure if it would work with my laptop.

Any help would be massively appreciated, I have already asked for help on the Dell Community forums and didn't really get a helpful answer.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
freestyle
(@freestyle)

Hi, i also have the G5 5587 with the 6GB 1060 GPU and thinking about the Razer Core X enclousure with a GTX3070 inside if available soon. At the end you should test it, maybe i order everything online and if it won't work properly i sent everything back within the law on the return of goods which bought over Internet within 30 days (thx god for this comfortable law 😉 )

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Joe Richardson
(@joe_richardson)

@freestyle

Well if I don't get a response, I'd be tempted to sell my laptop and old GPU and purchase a Quest 2 VR headset instead lol

ReplyQuote
freestyle
(@freestyle)

@joe_richardson

so the Box is on track to me.... exciting. Will Check the Setup with my desktop PC GPU (AMD R9 290) and if it make a stable run for hours, fingercross, then will check check it with a bigger, newer, faster, better GPU, exciting. And hope it runs with TFT connected to the external GPU too...

ReplyQuote
freestyle
(@freestyle)

Hi, so the box arrived. First boot with box connected and powered on, Dell G5 5587 says port which is used (tb3) is using power which is not allowed using power. I pressed continue and the system boots. System, win10 1909, recognize the box and the r9 290, but I need to purge all the Nvidia stuff on my laptop... tomorrow second run...

ReplyQuote
freestyle
(@freestyle)

hi there, so now my intel 630 & nvidia 1060 maxQ onbaord GPU is disabled in the device manager and my old AMD R9 290 is connected over the Razer X and HDMI with my 1440p TFT. Any drivers are up2date... lookingh for tests like i see here on reading. And also try things with throttlestop to undervolt the CPU. But here, BIOS Laptop 1.14.1 had some hard freezes after set the cache und cores to -125... need to check here more things i think

Best freestyle

ReplyQuote
freestyle
(@freestyle)

@, so I disable and deinstalled all nvidia stuff and do some tests with the egpu and it’s working without any freezes. Also everything runnin‘ on the ext. TFT 1440 over HDMI. Normal Boot with egpu on, get still a Dell warning that the port have power but power is not allowed, continue here and it’s Starts then normal. Or I boot the Laptop without the egpu and powered it when on win10 login, then close the laptop screen and use the ext. only

Think will give it a chance and waiting for the 3070... anything running under win10 1909

This post was modified 6 days ago

ReplyQuote