Notifications
Clear all

I need a eGPU for MacBook Pro 2016!  

of  3
  RSS

MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, I was just looking at the specs on the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+Special Edition and its not compatible with MAC, only with windows and Linux... I really liked that one. I'm going to tomorrow to get this entire setup that's why I'm up late researching.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

Ha ha, you like the gaming cards.

Actually all 5700 XT cards do work in MacOS. What they mean is the software for controlling the RGB lighting effects only works in Windows. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, Oh okay lol... so this is what I'm going to buy...

The Razer Core X (Enclosure)

XfX force Radeon RX  5700 XT Thicc 3 (Ultra Graphics Card)
I couldn't find the Sapphire in this store https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1494313-REG/sapphire_21293_01_40g_radeon_rx_5700_xt.html  They say its discontinued.

I keep watching reviews and they are saying the XFX is a bit beefier but it fits the Razer Core X, is that a problem?

for monitor, I'm going with the Samsung CHG90 49'inch Super Ultrawide. 

Is there anything else I may need?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

You’re good to go. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, Okay so I bought everything... BUT Now after setting everything up and looking at my desk, I really would like the Chroma just for the lights... which one I better? and what are the main diffrance between the two for my use (Final Cut Pro Editing)?  will my card fit in the chroma? XfX AMD Radeon RX 5700XT I know that I can't change the lights unless I use windows but this core X looks like urn lol I would like to go tomorrow  and exchange it.. please let me know. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

Yeah, I hear ya. Your card will fit, and FCPX will work the same in the Chroma. 

By the way, here’s some general eGPU set-up info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, I heard some YouTuber say that 3 fan cards wouldnt fit in the chroma, how true is that? The card is really what matters here correct? I heard him say that the Core X give the Card more power?

Would it slow down my performance with the chroma?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

The V2 is an older model they don’t make anymore.

The Chroma has a little more power than the Core X, actually. 

The Thicc III fits inside the Chroma. 

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, Oka perfect... I''ll pick it up tomorrow... by the way, is it necessary to install the drives? Am I understanding correctly, the Chroma has the ability tp per up your laptop via tb3 and or also provide ethernet connection all in one?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

Yeah, the Chroma will charge your MBP over the TB3 cable

You can download the Ethernet port driver, but it’s not necessary though.

Some Chroma owners here say the Ethernet and USB ports are too slow or drop connections.

ReplyQuote
 of  3