Notifications
Clear all

I need a eGPU for MacBook Pro 2016!  

of  3
  RSS

MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, Oh wow got it. I'm testing out the eGpu on fcpx, I have a generator in my timeline and its taking forever to ender that one 3D clip... is there something I forgot to install or set for to could work faster?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

29DD0BC6 B6D5 4F42 B34A 07E58231C00E

Render/Share GPU

• Render/Share GPU: Use this pop-up menu to choose which graphics processing unit (GPU) to use in Final Cut Pro when rendering or sharing. This choice affects only rendering and sharing; real-time effects use the default GPU.

Also, set your new external display as your primary display in system preferences, and open and run FCPX on the external display.

35D63340 21F7 4814 8B4B 74FDF9041A45
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, I noticed the display settings you sent me... When I had the core X I was using the external display only, now with the Chrome since I also like using my Touch Bar, would it bottleneck/slow down my performance? I read somewhere that its highly important to used an external monitor so you can use the eGPU to its fullest potential. What is I use both? when I open FCPX on my external display I have my time line and on the laptop I would have my Titles and Generators and occasionally open up Safari. Anything you noticed I'm doing incorrect?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

You can leave Safari on your MBP's internal display.

Set your external display as the Primary Display in System Preferences. For any rendering or effects in FCPX you want accelerated by the eGPU, you should keep that window on the external display. 

(Just fyi that FCPX uses the Intel processor for a lot of decoding/encoding tasks) 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, do you know why my graphics card fans won’t spin only the enclosed fan spins?  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@mrmac718

To keep it quiet during periods of low GPU use.

But the fans should definitely spin on when the card is heavily loaded. 

ReplyQuote
MrMac718
(@mrmac718)
Eminent Member

hey, You already know my set up... I'm just finishing up installing Windows on my MacBook.

I just need to know how to install the drivers (If I need to) from my 5700xt THICC and my Chroma encloser?

ReplyQuote
 of  3