Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
i7 8750H + Aorus 1080 gaming box + 24" external monitor

i7 8750H + Aorus 1080 gaming box + 24" external monitor  

RSS

Neil K
(@neil-k)

Hey guys my name is Neil and i am new here to the egpu forums. I am planning to upgrade my current laptop but want the best performance for the money i shell out( standard case of all who wish to upgrade). 😉 
Now i have a few problems to solve before i choose my next system and the main is the usual portability to performance argument. I am a student currently pursuing product design and i would like to have a system that can be portable enough and have great graphics to work on fusion 360, adobe CC on the go and do some heavy gaming when plugged in at home. 

After a lot of research i have a few solutions but the most relevant one for me and to post on these forums is this:
1) An i7 8750H laptop with ok graphics like a 1050ti like this: 
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFXN7591485&cm_re=hidevolution_gl503ge-_-2WC-000N-000M8-_-Product

2) Add a 1080 Aorus gaming box for heavy gaming at home. 

3) Add a 24" external screen to get the best fps from the eGPU steup and make a home battlestation but still have an on the go system.
Link to screen:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642&cm_re=144hz_monitor-_-24-009-642-_-Product

Total cost - 1099 + 699 + 200 = 2000$

What this helps me do is(hopefully) get a good on the go laptop that can handle mild work loads but when i get home have a full on gaming and work setup. 

Now my question is, is this kind of eGPU route good where performance and portability both are not sacrificed?  Or is better to go for a laptop that would cost as much as this setup which will sacrifice slightly on portability but may perform better? 

A laptop such as(Asus gl703gs(8750H+1070): 
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234955&cm_re=asus_gl703gs-_-34-234-955-_-Product  
Cost - 1899$

After watching a video on the 1080 gaming box where he says that its performance will be close to a 1070 max-Q, i am not sure what setup i should go for. A lower end 8th gen laptop + gaming box or a 1070 8th gen laptop. 
Link to video:

Hope someone can help me out with this decision, sorry for the long post. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

What is unusual in your first suggestion is that it is also a fairly beefy gaming laptop. Price notwithstanding, there are far more portable devices out there with 1050(ti)s - your "more portable" option is 2.6+ kilos (!), at which stage I'm not sure if those 400 grams really make the whole thing worthwhile, even if there was a more serious performance gain on the eGPU side. 

As for the full-gaming laptop option, at 3 kilos (plus giant-sized power-brick) that's not a "slight" sacrifice 🙂 It is quite literally the most non-portable option that you can get without going back to (mini) desktops.

Normally, the light, portable part of the equation is something way lighter, normally an ultrabook, and almost never a gaming laptop (that's why you see x360s, yogas, xps-es and such mentioned in most of the walkthroughs). These devices are quite literally under half the weight (and volume!) of your first, more portable option.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

The main problem is that laptop that you mentioned doesn't have TB3 port for aorus gaming box, find one that has it. More cores on 8750H CPU help a lot for minimizing CPU bottleneck, on that video he showed the UCPU, 8750H performs way better and more stable and even better than last high end CPU for gaming laptop 7820HK, with that you'll get maybe almost same performance with 1080 laptop like EVGA SC17 with 7820HK and GTX 1080, which is insane. Though if you're aiming high fps, like over 100fps, laptop with dgpu is still more stable in term fps drop.

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
Neil K
(@neil-k)

Posted by: 4chip4

What is unusual in your first suggestion is that it is also a fairly beefy gaming laptop. Price notwithstanding, there are far more portable devices out there with 1050(ti)s - your "more portable" option is 2.6+ kilos (!), at which stage I'm not sure if those 400 grams really make the whole thing worthwhile, even if there was a more serious performance gain on the eGPU side. 

As for the full-gaming laptop option, at 3 kilos (plus giant-sized power-brick) that's not a "slight" sacrifice 🙂 It is quite literally the most non-portable option that you can get without going back to (mini) desktops.

Normally, the light, portable part of the equation is something way lighter, normally an ultrabook, and almost never a gaming laptop (that's why you see x360s, yogas, xps-es and such mentioned in most of the walkthroughs). These devices are quite literally under half the weight (and volume!) of your first, more portable option.

Sorry i forgot to clarify that what i am aiming for is something similar to the system that i get to use in my college which is an i7 6th gen + 1070 desktop. If i can get something relatively more portable than this while maintaining the performance im ok. So i dont mind a 2.6kg laptop.
But what i understand from your suggestion is it would be better to get something like a XPS 15 2018 and add the gaming box when performance is required?  Only issue would be that i can spend 2000$ at most.

The main problem is that laptop that you mentioned doesn't have TB3 port for aorus gaming box, find one that has it. 
Though if you're aiming high fps, like over 100fps, laptop with dgpu is still more stable in term fps drop.

Also from what i understand the laptop i linked to has a usb c gen 2 port i thought that is similar to tb3 so would the gaming box work with it?
So weight not being an issue would the gl703gs be better option rather than the egpu route?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Sorry i forgot to clarify that what i am aiming for is something similar to the system that i get to use in my college which is an i7 6th gen + 1070 desktop. If i can get something relatively more portable than this while maintaining the performance im ok. So i dont mind a 2.6kg laptop.dv

If laptop weight/size is not an issue, in all honesty, the only reason to go for eGPUs is to be able to use the very highest end GPUs (1080Ti, Quadro etc), but then those would be out of the budget you listed anyway. A gaming laptop is bound to be cheaper (not to mention simpler!) solution for any GPU class that actually exists in a laptop format.

Also from what i understand the laptop i linked to has a usb c gen 2 port i thought that is similar to tb3 so would the gaming box work with it? So weight not being an issue would the gl703gs be better option rather than the egpu route?

You're mixing two things here - USB-C is the connector, while 3.x, gen2 refer to the USB protocol. Both USB 3.1+ and TB3 use USB-C connectors, but are different protocols (so not all USB-C ports - regardless of the USB version - can deal with TB3 clients, there needs to be a TB3 controller in the computer for that).

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)

ReplyQuote
Neil K
(@neil-k)

Ohh thank you i was a bit confused with tb3 and usb c, the previous generations of that laptop had tb3 but in the new one they excluded it odd thing to do by Asus. 

So i guess the laptop and dgpu route is better unless i can extend budget to 2500 and get a xps 15(if i get weight conscious) and aorus 1080. How do you like the keyboard on ultrabooks for gaming?

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

I'm not a big fan of the ultrabook keyboards for gaming, but then, when docked and using the external screen via the eGPU, it's far more natural to use an external (gaming) keyboard and mouse (or gamepad, for that matter) anyway.

ReplyQuote