iMac 2017 4K with eGPU Razer Core X (Geforce 1060)

Notifications
Clear all

iMac 2017 4K with eGPU Razer Core X (Geforce 1060)  

RSS

(@cristobal_ruiz_lorite)

Hello, I've been reading and I'm not sure if this will work, I'm going to own a iMac 2017 4K on February and I've got a 1060gtx nvidia card that I could use.

This setup will work well for my internal iMac display on Windows and MacOS? I'm also considering about buying one of the Apple recommended graphics card on this site ( https://support.apple.com/es-es/HT208544 ) but I'm not sure which one will work for both operating systems and the internal display at the same time.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Cristobal Ruiz.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
3.0GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory
1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of VRAM
Future owner of a Razer Core X
Actual owner of a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 (Will work for W10? Will work for MacOS Catalina? - Both with internal display)

ReplyQuote
enderq
(@enderq)

Check out the builds with your imac 2017 in the search see what works with what card.

Mac osx is Amd supported and that will probably work better, at the moment windows has a problem with the amd cards but there is a work around. I use a nvidia card for gaming in w10 i am not using macosx with the egpu at the moment i read some limitations for that, do you need graphics power in macosx?

https://egpu.io/best-external-graphics-card-builds/

Macbook pro 15" 2017, Razer Core X, RTX2080 to Dp port connected 165hz 27 inch rog lcd. Stand alone Windows 10 pro Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 on external ssd with bootcamp drivers (from Mojave, needs updating).

ReplyQuote
(@cristobal_ruiz_lorite)

Well, I had check the builds, there is only 3 and seems none works at both OS perfectly without workarounds.

If possible I'd like to put something in the Razer Core X that works perfectly without any problems on both systems.

I will probably use Windows for gaming, but I would like all the games from Apple Arcade working well.

Seems nvidia cards are easier for Windows and ATI for MacOS, I might consider having both of them for intensive gaming use on both OS.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
3.0GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory
1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of VRAM
Future owner of a Razer Core X
Actual owner of a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 (Will work for W10? Will work for MacOS Catalina? - Both with internal display)

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@cristobal_ruiz_lorite

You have some time, so check out how well Apple Arcade games run on the base model iMac with 2GB of graphics memory. Do this at the Apple store on their display model. Performance on your iMac should be similar.

And that may be enough to keep you happy on the Mac OS side.

Don’t get tempted by that sweet new Mac Pro though! Focus...focus...😉

If your 1060 has 6gb of memory, it might play enough Windows games decently to keep you satisfied for a while. 

If you shop for a new AMD dual OS card, I’m not sure I would expect anything to work perfectly without any problems on both OS using the internal display. 

Okay, I lied. I am sure I wouldn’t expect anything to work perfectly without any problems on both OS using the internal display. 😅

This post was modified 3 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote