Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
iMac Late 2015 5K 27" with RX 5700 XT

iMac Late 2015 5K 27" with RX 5700 XT  

RSS

priva28
(@priva28)

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my iMac Late 2015 5K 27" with the following specs:

- i7 6700k

- 500gb NVMe 970 Evo + 1tb hard drive

- 16gb RAM

The only thing I can't really upgrade is the slow Radeon R9 M380 2 GB graphics and therefore really my only option is an eGPU. I am thinking about using an AMD RX 5700 XT graphics card as it works natively in the latest Catalina. 

First, does this mean that I will have accelerate graphics on the internal display, or only on external ones plugged into the GPU. Will I need to use a ghost display adapter and would this work for accelerating apps such as FCPX in MacOS and playing games in Bootcamp all on the internal display?

Second, I am also looking to run Oculus Link for my Quest in Bootcamp. As link only requires a USB3 connection to the computer not the GPU, will the graphics still be accelerated? I understand that it isn't released yet so no one could really try, but someone that knows more could probably give some better info.

And lastly, will the TB2 connection of my computer be fine for the 5700 XT. Will I still get the same performance as if it was TB3 or will TB2 hold it back.

Thanks!

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

Late-2015 27" iMac 5K

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@priva28 You no longer need to use a ghost display adapter to enable internal display acceleration with the eGPU in macOS and Windows. Both operating systems have their own settings for you to select the preferred GPU for each app/game. Thunderbolt 2 eGPU is not bad but internal display mode performance may be not satisfactory. 

Regarding Oculus Link, the game visuals are handled by the host computer. Here are the specifications and compatibility for the Oculus Link Beta. It doesn’t look like any AMD cards have compatibility yet. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
priva28
(@priva28)

@itsage

Thanks! This really helped. It does say they are working on support for AMD cards with Oculus Link so I might wait and see until it gets out of beta. What do you mean by may not be satisfactory? Is it going to be worth it without an external display or should I not even bother? 

Late-2015 27" iMac 5K

ReplyQuote