iMac Pro (2017) for rendering with Cinema 4D + Octane

Notifications
Clear all

iMac Pro (2017) for rendering with Cinema 4D + Octane  

RSS

_underscore_lover_
(@_underscore_lover_)

Hey gpuys,

I did my homework but I can not find a definite answer to my question and I was hoping to find it here.
First things first: I own a iMac Pro with a Vega 64 and use it for professional applications mainly (C4D+Octane, AE, etc.). But I'd like it to have a little more horse power when it comes to GPU rendering. I do not plan on using a second screen.

I thought about buying a 5700 XT + Razer Chroma Core but I wasn't able to find an answer to the question if I would be able to utilize the full power of both cards at the same time in Octane X. If so, would the render speed go up notably? 

Does anyone have experiences with this setting?

Thanks,
Dave

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@_underscore_lover_

That is the plan anyway.

But Octane X crashes and the denoiser isn’t working. 

We’re all still waiting for OTOY to finish building it.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
_underscore_lover_
(@_underscore_lover_)

Hey,

thanks for your answer. Regarding crashes: It got a lot better since Big Sur for me. It mostly happens in the node editor with baked texture nodes.
So it is not possible to use two cards at the same time in Octane X right now?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@_underscore_lover_

Multiple cards are supported. If you can get work done with the C4D plug-in, than adding a second card is worth it. 

The Maya plug-in isn’t near ready for any work projects yet. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
_underscore_lover_
(@_underscore_lover_)

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know!

It definitely has it quirks but as I read somewhere else: Even with the crashes it's worth using it. 

ReplyQuote